Work Being Difficult

gary crozier

hi there
just need to chat to someone who understands what my son is going through

my son was not feeling to good for a couple of months so told him to go to doctors
told them about what was wrong with himself and they tested him for diabetes
came back as type 1 diabetes ... was a shock to him and us aswell
told his workplace about this straight away spoke to a manager so he could inform the managment team aswell
was put on tablets for 1st month but started geting cramps in his stomach told him to get back to the doctors
he went back on friday 18th may and was sent straight to hospital as his urine sample was 27.5
was told at the hospital the tables were not helping and put on insulin (4 x a day)
when he came home in the afternoon from the hospital he called his workplace and updated them on what was going on
spoke to the senior manager and was told that he and his managment team were not told of his diabetes by the other manager
other manager not made a record of it on personal file ether
then my son went to work on monday 21st may he starts at 11 oclock till 7 oclock day shift
spoke to both managers and was told they would not change his hours
only wanted to do a 9.00 - 5.30 shift ... just move it 2 hours to help him try and get some structure to things
on a friday my son starts work at 8 and works till 7
was told by them they will let him have a 5 min to take his insulin and he could do this in the toilets
they allso told him he has to show them what he has to do .... far as i new they could not inject my son with a needle as they are not doctors ???
i worked for this company myself for 8 years and had to have an op on my kidney 15 years ago
was handeled alot different then by previous managment team
if i needed something .... they would do it no ifs or butts
i am amazed that such a huge company as they are and market leader in there field is so not intrested in my sons health needs
next step human resoures ... head office ....
any help or info would be a help to me on his rights at work
thanks for reading my post feel a bit better now after getting it of my chest

thankyou gary

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Inject it the toilet....how considerate of them! :roll:

I would take this matter up with head office and involve the union if your son is in one, the Citizens Advice are always helpful in such matters and you could also contact Diabetes UK to ask for their opinion.

Good luck and hope you get something sorted as their approach (and managerial skills) are sadly lacking!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
noblehead said:
Inject it the toilet....how considerate of them! :roll:

I would take this matter up with head office and involve the union if your son is in one, the Citizens Advice are always helpful in such matters and you could also contact Diabetes UK to ask for their opinion.

Good luck and hope you get something sorted as their approach (and managerial skills) are sadly lacking!

Hi gary I agree with noblehead here. Your son does not need to show them where he injects. He will need time to test his blood sugars throughout the day( especially newly diagnosed) and have a snack, if he needs one.

It doesn't bother me about injecting in toilets, but I wouldn't want to be TOLD that is the only place to do it :shock: Discretion is probably the best way to deal with it, as it's a huge thing that has happened to him and he will need time to adjust.

Please advise him to go to the top about their shocking indifferent to his medical condition, or to his union.

I wish him the best of luck

Scoop4

I feel so sorry for him this is a big change to his life and his employer not being very understanding. Everyone has basic employment rights even if they have not signed a contract. If you have a disability (a medical condition which effects your day to day living) then you come under the Disability Discrimination act which is a law which helps to protect any disabled person to keep them in employment. The DDA act is available on line check out the ACAS website they help with all your employment issue for both employer and employee. It could be that his employer doesn't know what they need to do to help him. They gist of the DDA is that adjustment can be made to a job to enable a person with a disability to keep working and manage their condition in the work place. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Hi Gary.... it sounds to me like you probably need to make a few contacts as mentioned already by previous posters. We have a Disability Discrimination Act here too that protects people with disabilities. Diabetes is classed as a chronic disease and it's also covered by this legislation (I'm sure UK law would be the same or similar).
In regard to what the employer needs to know about your son... they only need to know how to treat him in case of an emergency really. If the workplace has a first aide officer then they should probably be informed as they would know what to do in case of a hypo that needs urgent attention. Generally your son should be able to treat his own hypos, although the employer should be aware that this can happen. I personally do let my immediate boss know if I'm having a hypo so they don't think I'm just slacking off, etc.
I think it's totally inappropriate for the employer to comment about where your son should inject his insulin.... I hope they realise that injecting insulin means he will be eating too??? (eg. not in the toilet)
I haven't actually officially told my employer I wish to be recognised as having a disability either.... eg. it's not been updated on my pay file. Although my immediate boss and the exec knows I have diabetes and only so they know to be aware re: hypos. Here if you officially tell your employer you have a disability they are then obligated to send you for regular fitness for duty testing, etc. I'm sure there would be similar requirements there???

So make sure you investigate what the employment conditions and requirements concerning illness are to protect your son. Make sure everything is documented too. Eg. if there is a discussion with the employer, make sure this is put in writing to your son and keep it for records.

All the best. :D

C

chris lowe

Hi Gary, I think your son's employers are acting like total prats! You say he works for a large company in which case HR should be more than aware of the Disability Discrimination Act. Like the other posts, if there is a union for employees he really must join. It is so much easier to tackle an unreasonable employer with a rep by your side. Also if they are a large company they surely have a first aid room where staff can go when ill? If there is no workplace union, he could find out what union would be appropriate for his work and can join by paying direct debit. They may not be able to represent him directly with employer but the can give valuable advice which is relevant to the situation and if he needs to go the tribunal route they will cover the costs as part of his membership. As for showing them what he needs to do to control his diabetes, I assume that if he had a colostomy bag fitted they wouldn't want to know how that was attached and emptied! Good luck to him and I hope he can get this sorted sympathetically.

Scoop4

As an ex union rep the union is great when u need representation or action against your employer as well as if you just need moral support but you need to get to know your rights no point in going into his employer ready for a fight you need to understand your condition and your ability to work.. It's all to with a matter of knowing what your rights as well as what should be expected from your employer. A lot of managers don't know what to do in a certain situation until it arises and some times they don't take the time to find out what they should do they just open their mouths and say the wrong thing. Get all the information you need then take it to them dealing with being newly diagnosed is bad enough without making it hard and stressful on your self. If you do find you are not getting what is expected from your employer get ACAS behind you they can give you guidance, advice and help. They can be of great help when your employer is not willing to do their part.

gary crozier

hi there

can i thank all the people who have been posting for there suport with my son
it has been very helpfull to him and me aswell
sent a letter to h/r last week
he has got a second meeting with citizens advice next week
they could not belive how his employer have been with him
will keep everyone updated on progress as it happens

once again thanks for the support gary,matthew and michelle