work is getting harder

martin hutton

hi i`ve had type 1 for 2 years now i work gardening and getting more tired i have my breakfast at 8 i have to eat a cereal bar at 11 and dinner at 12 and something at 3 and tea at 5 to keep going i did the dafne course it help alot but am still so tired if my blood drops i get moody and snappy my wife says we work together i say if i got type 1 when i was younger i would`nt be doing this type off work my hand and feet keep cracking got cream sick of putting cream on at least 10 or more times a day fall asleep after tea never use to full of cold as well now bg good 5.5 -8.5 don`t no what other work i can do i have put everything into it over the last 12 years :?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

I used to have my own gardening business too.

Have you ever thought about employing somebody going to college to learn horticulure etc on a part time basis...a sort of apprenticeship if things like this stil run nowadays?

Perhaps it is possible to diversify slightly? For example, I had the best customers you could imagine....I went in and ovehauled gardens totally.....but then I went on to doing the gardens as routine maintenance only...

You don't say what ype of gardening business you do..for example some people do pure lawnmowing, some do maintenance, so do lawn maintenance only, some erect sheds and greenhouses, laying patios etc....

Have you any qualifications in gardening?

There are ways to diversify, but I don't know what you do actually in your gardening business...

Depending on where yo live as well, depends on the chances of changing your employment. Would you have any large distribution places around....the work in distribution places can be very varied, and not all of it is picking and packing, not all of it is admin etc.

Write a list down of things that you can do well, and what you enjoy. If you are considering giving up gardening, would your wife continue?

Loads of questions, but diabetes alone should not be a show stopper.

martin hutton

hi my son worked with us has left now is more happy not working with me since i got type 1 my wife works hard we do grass cutting mainly i do all the tractor mowing and some of strimming my wife does all the walking mowing and strimming i have no quaifcications have does game birds rearing charcoal making farming i clean a sports hall 2 hours on a morning that keeps things going in the winter it`s hard to think what else to do my wife can`t do all the work on her own we worked hard to get what we have we live in the middle of nowere and have to travel miles to get anywere i got shooting and beating in the winter

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Martin,

What does your gp and diabetes consultant say about this tiredness, have they investigated this with blood/urine tests?

Nigel

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My gardening was totally different, as I used to toally renovate gardens, and then as another disease really started to take grip, I was lucky that I could carry on maintaining these gardens for those customers. I absolutely loved my work and business. I had to give it up becaus ewe moved to another uk country that is far less interested in gardening than the good english folt to be quite honest.....

My husband was always concerned about what I would do as he was always thinking long term about getting older, and less able to do the huge jobs that I was doing.

Is your diabetes, well managed and are your levels on a daily basis between the 5's and 8'......if not, this could have an impact on the way that your body is reacting. Re you eating a good, healthy diet?-sorry I sound like a depserate parent!!!!-of a teenager who has just left home!!!-but this can also have a big impact on tiredness and wellbeing.

I have a separate illness of fibromylaigia, which in all honesty would have stopped me doing all the gardening that I was doing, but we moved anyway-however, saying that my husband was getting more, and more aware of the problems I was ggetting-and he was thinking like you, that I was not going to to be able to do this on a longterm basis.

There has to be other things available, that you enjoy and can do well. Have you thought about passing your knowledge on in anyway...and charging for it. I live near to a fantastic gentleman, who is fantastic at doing superb flower arranging (I know this sounds odd!!!)....-and this year he has started doing flower arranging and christmas wreath and willow obelisk making lessons for locals or anybody-and actually charging for them.....there are ways around things....i.e. repairing lawnmowers, farm machinery etc.....you so obviously enjoy what you do, and I totally agree that you should be thinking of other options, as it is actually very, very few of us that can keep doing the same job for all of our live's. In fact, my hubby is now 45 and he is already thinking about coming about of management etc and for the future, as it is so much a young boy's graduate job nowadays.

It is very rare that you can keep in one job from leaving school until retirement, and/or beyond (unless in a government sort of based job!!!!)-even they are having to make changes!!!-there is no longer any job for life, and that applies to every single person-not just us diabetics.

First of though, you have to get in to a positive frame of mind about this, at the moment you seem to be very, very despondent and concerned, and looking on the black side.....