work issuses

marie.T1

hi im T1 i have recently been in hospital with dka. on my return to work my employer asked if any adjustments needed to be made ? i told him i needed to change some of my hours to allow me to eat at regular times and take my insulin. this was 5 weeks ago no changes have been made!!! i have asked for another meeting to reslove this but he keeps saying see me tomorrow!!!! as we all know tomorrow never comes!!! i need some advice as what to do next.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Marie

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to put your request for the adjustments you need in writing/email, referring to your earlier conversation. If you are a trade union member, your union rep may be able to help.

Regards

Doug

Elc1112

Hi Marie,

Hope you have recovered from the DKA. I've only had it once (long time ago). Once was more than enough! Do you mind ne asking what sort of work you do? I work in marketing and spend about 75% of my time either working from home or in the office. This makes it really easy to control meal times - I inject and eat as I need to and, as long as the work gets done, my hours are pretty flexible (although usually much longer than I would like... or than my contract states lol). The rest of my time I spend travelling. This makes it harder with mealtimes and injections, especially if I am travelling across multiple time zones etc. Even still, it's still manageable as long as my employers and colleagues are aware that I am diabetic.

Are you able to manage your own working day or do you have designated lunch and break times? Also, are you able to eat at your desk (or whatever) if you need to snack to keep your levels up?

I've never had to agree anything formal with any of my employers, although I don't know what you do so it may well be very different for you.

Em

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I am type one also- very lucky i have an office job which my employers have accomodated me very well. Theyre happy for me to test and eat when necessary. Think they would rather that than see me collapsed on the floor :lol: However my wife works in a well known supermarket which allows diabetics a 15 min break if needed every two hors to test and eat if they need to. Not sure if it is just there policy or if it is law. Worth finding out as i am sure they wouldnt allow it if they didnt have too. Seems silly to me if employers do not allow this as it needs to be done for better health and control which hopefuuly stops or minimises sick days. Hope u can sort it out with them amicabily.

marie.T1

thank you for replies x i work in a well known supermarket, they are usually very good with me :D the problem is i get my lunch break at about 12.30-1pm then i get a 15 min break at about 3pm then i dont finish work til about 7-8 0'clock which means im not getting my evening meal til about 8.30-9 . all i have asked if i can start work 1 hour earlier and fininish i hours early .
also since i asked for this adjustment another member of staff asked for her hours changed and she got them changed straight away .

marie.T1

i find im hypos at work at about 6 pm each evening. i have reduced my novo rapid at lunch time , but still having hypos because i need my evening meal. when im having my evening meal at 8.30-9 i find im having hypos in the night too.

If you dont get anywhere then ask if you can be referred to Occupational health, they will then discuss your needs with you and write a recommendation to your employer and follow it up for you. I found them very helpful when I needed to see them. My employer was also excellent and bent over backwards to accomodate the recomendations.

Good luck

Elc1112

Hi Marie,

Hope you get it sorted soon. It's a reasonable request so I don't see why they won't be able to accommodate. Keep pushing it! :)

Em x

marie.T1

had a meeting with my boss ! i was quite annoyed really he said he couldnt change my hours because he has gotta look after the buisness!!!!! he also said the only way he could change them is if i did all late shifts. i told him that wasnt aceptable because i have a family . he then said that i have to think about whether i want my job or my family ...... i told him that i had spoken to the union and they would be down if i couldnt get it resolved. 30 mins later i had 1 of my changed to 9-5 just 2 more to go . thanks for all your replies i will keep you informed .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
marie.T1 said:
had a meeting with my boss ! i was quite annoyed really he said he couldnt change my hours because he has gotta look after the buisness!!!!! he also said the only way he could change them is if i did all late shifts. i told him that wasnt aceptable because i have a family . he then said that i have to think about whether i want my job or my family ...... i told him that i had spoken to the union and they would be down if i couldnt get it resolved. 30 mins later i had 1 of my changed to 9-5 just 2 more to go . thanks for all your replies i will keep you informed .

Result :thumbup: ........hope he changes the other two for you!

Elc1112

He sounds like a barrell of laughs. Yes, he needs to 'look after the business', but staff are possibly the most important part of any business. Looking after them IS looking after the business. Also, you mention you work for a well-known supermarket. No disrespect to your manager, but I would imagine there are many, many people above him who know a great deal more about running a successful business than he does! As for choosing between family and a job, grrr.

I'm glad he changed one of your shifts. I hope he agrees to amend the other two aswell. Keep on pushing. Use the one shift that he has changed to demonstrate that this is a workable solution that foes not have a negative effect on the business. It will then be very hard for him to argue that he can't change your other shifts.

Sorry for the rant. I think it's fair to say I've had a bad day lol. Been at my desk since 7am and only just managed to stop for a 'lunch break'. Anybody want to swap places?!? ;)

Em