work

riodad

Dislikes
bigots
Hello i wonderd if i should put that i am a diabetic on job applications when form asks if any disabilites? What would you do? Cheers :?

Snodger

Personally, I only disclose it if they ask directly - eg if they ask if I have diabetes. I don't consider it a disability, so I don't put it down as such.
It depends on the job, though. Some jobs, it's harder to manage diabetes than others. If you need any special consideration (eg if you need to test blood or treat hypos in situations where that might cause difficulty) then tell them. If you don't, then it's none of their business at application stage. (Might be an idea to let work colleagues know once you have the job, in case of hypos).
Just my opinion. Prob others will disagree.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

Depends wether to you diabetes is a disability or not. Meaning if you have diabetes related complications.

When i fill out applications I don't disclose I have diabetes unless there is a box to tick that asks you if you do have diabetes, which is rare.

I don't consider my diabetes to be a disabilty but its personal choice. I would never lie about having diabetes or not disclose it at all.

When i applied for my job, when i interviewed nothing was mentioned about health, so i didn't mention anything. Then when they offered me the job i made them aware then.

Good luck!

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I play it by ear, some companies have a guaranteed interview scheme for the disabled-if that's the case I'll consider it a disablity, anything to get my foot through the door and get an interview! Otherwise I'm controlled so don't disclose it as it's possibly a prejudice to get over in my quest to get that job.

spideog

If going for a job flying a plane then I would mention it on the application.
If going for a job flying a desk then I would not mention it on the application.

I have always mentioned it at the earliest opportunity to colleagues/ HR/ manager (delete as appropriate) after actually starting the job. All depends on the work situation though as to who and when exactly I'd tell, although telling someone in HR would be close to top of the list just to tick that box and to ensure you can't later be accused of keeping stuff from them.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Have you considered that many companies now have positive discrimination policies and have to employ so many disabled workers?

With 1000's after every job nowadays you might just do your self a favour by ticking the disabled box, cynical yes, but true :thumbup:

You can always explain your control at interview and explain that other than a couple of half days off a year for eye test etc your diabetes doe snot impact on your professional life whatsoever with the possible exception of business lunches :lol:

spideog

Sid Bonkers said:
Have you considered that many companies now have positive discrimination policies and have to employ so many disabled workers?

With 1000's after every job nowadays you might just do your self a favour by ticking the disabled box, cynical yes, but true :thumbup:

You can always explain your control at interview and explain that other than a couple of half days off a year for eye test etc your diabetes doe snot impact on your professional life whatsoever with the possible exception of business lunches :lol:
Would feel more than a bit wrong to me personally if I felt I needed to resort to that kind of tactic, even if it was the only way to get an interview I don't think I could do it. At least I wouldn't be able to use that as the justification to myself for ticking a "disabled" box.

RussG

You still need to meet the minimum spec required to get an interview (otherwise anyone with a disability could throw in a form and expect to be interviewed to be a pilot or brain surgeon without relevant qualifications or experience). Interviewers are supposed to be a bit more flexible about the spec though, so it may not hurt. You'd still need to be able to do the job, so I don't think it is wrong to put it down if you want to.

Personally I tend to put it down if not doing so would be lying, i.e. if the form asks: do you have any long term conditions such as heart problems, asthma or diabetes, not ticking yes to that would be consciously not telling the truth. Whilst you can't be sacked for having diabetes, you can be for lying on your application form.

(For T1s) Whether you consider yourself disabled or not (and using the social model of disability, it's up to you) the law would consider you so with regards to the Disability Discrimination Act - you can't choose to ignore your rights under legislation (although obviously you could refuse to follow up a discrimination case etc.).

Personally speaking, given the fact that the coalition government is looking to make it easier to fire people and harder / more costly for people to bring tribunal cases, I'd try to keep every bit of protection going, i.e. join a union if possible, make sure you have legal expenses cover on your house insurance and let HR know you are T1.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
I don't put it as a disability but if they ask about anything to do with health at an interview I mention it and say "its all under control" which I like to think it is :)