Working different shifts and on call

witchfire

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi every one .
recently diagnosed type 2 , had eyes checked retinpathy on eyes ,feet checked ulcer on bottom foot all being addressed staff wonderful ,i am on various tablets for blood pressure plus statins and metaformin .i had 2 hypos at start now diet well in order ,
my HR dept met with me and my boss i explained that on call attending in 20 mins was impossible and putting me at risk they decided to take me off call with no loss ,but i still do shifts at night and i have concerns about working in a large building with only one other member of staff at other end .they said he could radio me every 20 mins but my concern is that if i feel ill the time to reach me would be too late .they said give it a go and see ,i said could i be put on permanent days even if i lost shift allowance they said no .
has any one else found away around this or am i being too picky .worked here 17 years and no sick time .
Thanks Guys and Ladies

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello Witchfire ,welcome to the forum,unless your on insulin i should think the risks of an actual hypo are pretty remote,many here have reported false hypo's ...feeling nauseous,etc but this soon clears up
@daisy1 Will give you the info for new posters , hav e good read and come back with your q's.
Personally....make the changes to your diet etc, slow and progressive , this will help your body adjust . Clive

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Working nights or shifts, will always send your body clock haywire.
I had nearly 35 years of it, constant changes of sleeping times.
I actually did think that it was the shift working that gave me my weird sleeping habits, but it was my condition.
You will find, that as above have said that once you have control of your diabetes, then your energy levels will change and the likelihood of hypos become less.
Always carry something with you as a quick boost to your levels if you feel wobbly at any time. The longer you low carb the more you won't need them.
Eat regularly and always keep busy, stress and worry will not help.
I believe if you can get your control and your Hba1c levels improve, there will be no reason why you can't go back to being on call.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that if you are only on metformin, your risks of hypos will be small - especially if you get yourself a meter and do some tests and check until you know how your body reacts to different foods.

After that it should be a simple matter of only choosing slow release foods (low carb ones) and eating regularly enough that your blood glucose remains well controlled.

If you do this, you could be able to control your condition largely by diet, and may be able to come off the metformin, in time.