Working in the US with Type 1

Vigman

Hi

My T1 daughter wanted to do her year's work experience in the US but has been told she cannot stay there longer than 6 months because of her condition.

Can anyone advise on this, please?

TIA

Vigman

KazV1

How long has she been diabetic and how old is she? do they not take this into account? thats ridiculous if someones aspirations are ruined because of something they cant control.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
I would imagine it's due to insurance, I lived in the USA for x2 years and it is tough to get insurance cover for an 'expensive' , pre-existing condition such as type 1 Diabetes due to all the equipment and drugs (insulin) the insurance companies have to provide. When I lived there, as I was a UK tax paying citizen (or my parents were!) and we discussed with my GP and he continued to write me prescriptions for everything I needed and I was insured in the US for all possible related complications but not diabetes meds/equipment. My Doc over there did put the effort in and find me a suitable alternative insulin should I drop/damage my entire supply but this was back in the days when we used glass vials and syringes :lol: with pens, pumps etc, I'm pretty sure all the equipment is interchangeable should there be any emergencies. Hope you manage to sort it! Who exactly told her she couldn't stay longer than 6 mths?