[youtube]UHDqsi7_7oI[/youtube]

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankyou, I haven't seen that .
I found it a shame that there wasn't much interest in World Diabetes day on this forum. Perhaps we could do something about it this year
Here's a picture I took of the bridge at Cahors lit for World diabetes day. It wasn't as blue as it could have been perhaps (the filters were very light blue and it was so subtle my picture doesn't really reflect it :( ) but it made a talking point in the restaurant where we had dinner.

Attachments

• blue bridge.JPG
    blue bridge.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,329

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Perhaps it needs more publicity
maybe we can persuade DUK to make blue circle pins;like the pink breast Cancer awareness pins
Hana

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hanadr said:
Perhaps it needs more publicity
maybe we can persuade DUK to make blue circle pins;like the pink breast Cancer awareness pins
Hana

World Diabetes day is all about publicity, developing public awareness of diabetes .The theme at the moment is education and prevention. The lighting of buildings (and homes) in blue is one way of achieving local publicity.
Last year, in the UK, 36 buildings were lit,. These included major monuments such as the Millenium Bridge Gateshead, Inverness Cathedral, the London Eye , the SpinnakerTower Portsmouth (London and Portsmouth lit up 9 buildings between them) and also smaller places like the Town hall at Havering and the gate guardian at RAF Marham. Many of these places had additional events on the day (sponsored walks, information fairs, spot blood testing etc)
Info about how to go about getting a local building lit and other materials here:(site not yet updated from last year but the theme will be the same)
http://www.worlddiabetesday.org/activit ... -challenge

It would be interesting to see what people on forums can come up with. Last year many of the other forums joined in with the 14 minutes of exercise scheme 'organised' by Tu diabetes. If nothing else it showed many people just how effective short bursts of exercise can be.

As for the blue circle pins. These are available from the IDF and some of the proceeds go towards their Life for a Child with Diabetes. The problem is that they are only available in packs of 10. Possibly local groups could buy packs and sell them for a minimum donation with any excess going to the IDF..though I don't know what UK charity laws allow people to do.
http://www.lifeforachild.org/