1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Worried about eyesight

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Mark-optimistic, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Mark-optimistic

Mark-optimistic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Unfortunately I missed my annual eye checkup about 6 weeks ago and I have one booked in 4 weeks.

My issue is that my vision has become quite blurry at times. I get very bloodshot eyes and have a horrible pressure like feeling in them.

Do you know if there's a way to be seen earlier or to get some help in regards to it.

My sugars haven't been the best as I've been under intense stress with other illness complications and worries.

Thanks.

2. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You could go to a high street optician???? They can do tests that are not part of a diabetic retinopathy review. I hope all is well and that you can be less anxious.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm T2, so your mileage may vary, but the blurry vision you get from high sugars was very reversible in my case. I thought I needed glasses before diagnosis because I was getting seriously fuzzy vision. Once I got my sugars down to a decent level, my sight came back about as sharp as ever. What I'm basically saying, is good luck and don't worry: I think you should probably be able to sort this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hello @Mark-optimistic As Geordie has said if you're running high then your vision will be affected, I know mine is affected when I go into double digits, combined with the stress then this could be contributing to this feeling of pressure too. A trip to Specsavers will put your mind at rest as they can do a health check so it's worthwhile getting one of these until you can have your retinopathy test. Good luck, hope it's nothing to worry about.

5. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I got a scan (I can't remember what it was called but basically is quite thorough and would flag up anything) done at Specsavers - cost around £10 I think and imo well worth it for peace of mind.

6. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

OCT scan - optical coherence tomography.

7. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

IF you did get the free test at the High St ask for the diabetic one as they will take a more detailed picture and be able to give you an immediate idea if you have any background retinopathy or actual bleeds. The hospital technicians just take the photos prior to an expert looking at them which isn't to say you should skip that next appointment.
    I have had retinopathy and also have the same symptoms when high or rollercoaster that you and Geordie report. The latter doesn't mean you have long lasting damage right now but over the longer term you are gong to need to sort out your bgs. Easier said than done I know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook