worried about Hba1c test and what a diagnosis of T2 would mean. Was told I had

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
hypertension after NHS health check. Nobody seemed to notice that the HbA1c was 5.9 mmol/mol until I saw it in my medical notes online and mentioned it to the doctor.He admitted it was too high and close to the pre diabetic level and has arranged for it to be re done in the new year. I am worried it might now be higher as that was ten months ago. Symptoms include frequent trips to the loo, especially at night and occasional blurry vision which I had thought was due to tiredness.If the HbA1c goes above 6.5 I gather it is a definite diagnosis? I wish I'd known these numbers were high before but the doctor and nurse were concentrating on getting my blood pressure sorted at the time. What's the best thing to do at this stage as I feel a diagnosis would have all kinds of implications. I don't think diabetes runs in the family although I do know my grandmother had it when she was elderly. Do I go for the test soon and find out my fate or wait a while?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, if i were you, i would treat this as a warning to eat healthier if you arent already, lose some weight if your a little too heavy and start doing a little exercise if you dont already and are able, we should all be doing this anyway, and get tested also, theres no benefit to not knowing something

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it is still normal and both Andy and I were very much higher when we were diagnosed. We both brought our levels down back into the normal range within a year. I was above 6 for years before my sudden and rapid rush to join the club. If you are motivated enough, you'll get it back down with a bigger and safer margin. Exercise is a big help as it seems to improve insulin sensitivity. Losing weight is another obvious factor and being careful with what you eat also helps. You hold all the good cards in your hand.

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
Thank you for your replies. I do feel confused and do wish I had known these numbers before now. What are the implications of a T2 diagnosis? Can you ever get off the diabetic register for example [or whatever it is called], if you subsequently sort your lifestyle and bring the HbA1c down to within normal levels? I have improved my life style since being tested but as that health check revealed the hypertension I was concentrating on getting that down by losing weight and walking. Also the exercise was as much for keeping knee arthritis at bay. All my efforts haven't helped the blood pressure though and I take medication for that. It probably has helped blood glucose but the only way to know is to do as the dr says and make an appointment for a blood test. As you rightly say not knowing is no help at all.

Feb 2013 HbA1c 41mmol/mol [5.9%]

Feb 2013 BMI 23.9
Dec 2013 BMI 19.2

collectingrocks

Looking at your latest BMI, sounds like you don't need to lose any weight. Well done for getting it down. Yes, treat this as a warning...this is the time to take control and do something before you slip further down the slope. I don't know the implications for being diagnosed with T2 apart from perhaps free prescriptions, eye and foot checks etc...but you really don't want to join the club (and please...no offence to the diabetic members here!). What are you eating...might be a good idea to post some of the things from your diet, particularly as a lot of foods these days contain some form of added sugar

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
I have finally plucked up the courage and made an appointment for the HbA1c test in ten days time. I was surprised that it is no longer a fasting test, when did this change I wonder. I also wonder if the cholesterol test will be re done too. Last year it was borderline high. I am dreading it.
When I was told I had hypertension I was shocked and upset and decided to try and sort that by diet and exercise and weight loss. I initially went to Weight watchers until I realised their main aim was to sell chocolate biscuits and take money off you. I checked out the NHS web site and was shocked at their so called 'Eatwell Plate' with it's massive amount of carbs, so gave that a miss. I read Michael Mosely's 'Fast Diet' and 5.2 diet book. Then I was told of the LCHF diet: so that is what I followed and started walking regularly too. I gave up adding salt to my food and cut back drastically on wine. I read the labels in the supermarket now and was horrified at the amount of salt in just about everything and also sugar. I cook from scratch and actually always have done yet still those cholesterol and glucose numbers were not good. I used to eat a lot of low fat dairy : yogurts and skim milk in particular. The quantity of hidden sugar in those is dreadful. So I ditched cornflakes and milk for breakfast and instead start the day with a boiled or poached egg and a slice of wholemeal toast and butter - not margarine which I regard as chemical gunk! Home made veggy soup at lunch and no cake or biscuits during the day. That was hard at first but I substitute fruit instead. Evening is fish or a vegetarian option and I rarely eat meat these days. Pasta, potatoes and white bread went out too. I use olive oil and butter.
So when I obtained my medical notes online I was shocked to see my HbA1c test had been borderline pre diabetes. I was upset that no body had told me at the time. I feel the LCHF diet has become a way of life and I haven't felt hungry or deprived in any way. I love chocolate and treat myself each evening! Keep your fingers crossed for me in ten days time please !!

A

AnnieC

I have finally plucked up the courage and made an appointment for the HbA1c test in ten days time. I was surprised that it is no longer a fasting test, when did this change I wonder. I also wonder if the cholesterol test will be re done too. Last year it was borderline high. I am dreading it.
When I was told I had hypertension I was shocked and upset and decided to try and sort that by diet and exercise and weight loss. I initially went to Weight watchers until I realised their main aim was to sell chocolate biscuits and take money off you. I checked out the NHS web site and was shocked at their so called 'Eatwell Plate' with it's massive amount of carbs, so gave that a miss. I read Michael Mosely's 'Fast Diet' and 5.2 diet book. Then I was told of the LCHF diet: so that is what I followed and started walking regularly too. I gave up adding salt to my food and cut back drastically on wine. I read the labels in the supermarket now and was horrified at the amount of salt in just about everything and also sugar. I cook from scratch and actually always have done yet still those cholesterol and glucose numbers were not good. I used to eat a lot of low fat dairy : yogurts and skim milk in particular. The quantity of hidden sugar in those is dreadful. So I ditched cornflakes and milk for breakfast and instead start the day with a boiled or poached egg and a slice of wholemeal toast and butter - not margarine which I regard as chemical gunk! Home made veggy soup at lunch and no cake or biscuits during the day. That was hard at first but I substitute fruit instead. Evening is fish or a vegetarian option and I rarely eat meat these days. Pasta, potatoes and white bread went out too. I use olive oil and butter.
So when I obtained my medical notes online I was shocked to see my HbA1c test had been borderline pre diabetes. I was upset that no body had told me at the time. I feel the LCHF diet has become a way of life and I haven't felt hungry or deprived in any way. I love chocolate and treat myself each evening! Keep your fingers crossed for me in ten days time please !!

Well it sounds like you have really done good with your change of diet so well done
I am prediabetic last fasting blood test was 6.9 and two weeks later another test was 6.8 I was told by my GP it is only considered T2 if the two consecutive tests are over 7 so I am still not considered T2. My raised glucose was discovered when it was found I had high blood pressure and raised cholesterol so I went on a low fat diet which I still do eating mostly chicken fish and veggies...I have cut down on root vegetables though they raise BG and I only have plain greek style yogurt now with fruit puree that I make myself I use a little Stevia or Agave syrup for sweetening most diabetics have their own favorite in sweetners Sugar free jelly... it has sweetners.. is a godsend when you want something sweet
I was not overweight but like you I have tweaked my diet and cut out the white starchy carbs bread rice pasta cakes and biscuits and just have a couple of small slices of Hovis granary toast with my breakfast of eggs turkey bacon sardines etc with lots of tomatoes and mushrooms and I do make all my meals from scratch including lots of soups which I love, cauliflower soup is a favorite
Good luck with your test and I am sure what you are doing is working for you

A

AnnieC

Well it sounds like you have really done good with your change of diet so well done
I am prediabetic last fasting blood test was 6.9 and two weeks later another test was 6.8 I was told by my GP it is only considered T2 if the two consecutive tests are over 7 so I am still not on the GP's record as T2. My raised glucose was discovered when it was found I had high blood pressure and raised cholesterol so I went on a low fat diet which I still do eating mostly chicken fish and veggies...I have cut down on root vegetables though they raise BG and I only have plain greek style yogurt now with fruit puree that I make myself I use a little Stevia or Agave syrup for sweetening most diabetics have their own favorite in sweetners Sugar free jelly... it has sweetners.. is a godsend when you want something sweet
I was not overweight but like you I have tweaked my diet and cut out the white starchy carbs bread rice pasta cakes and biscuits and just have a couple of small slices of Hovis granary toast with my breakfast of eggs turkey bacon sardines etc with lots of tomatoes and mushrooms and I do make all my meals from scratch including lots of soups which I love, cauliflower soup is a favorite
Good luck with your test and I am sure what you are doing is working for you

collectingrocks

Well done gardengnome for educating yourself and getting the carbs down. Yes, excess sugar and salt is a cause of hypertension which in turn can lead to diabetes and other complications - e.g. kidney failure. Over 85% dark chocolate should be fine rather than the milk version. Good you cook from scratch too as you know exactly what you are ingesting. Lucky you were border prediaties...I was well in the prediabetic range when first tested last year.

Keep up the good work and tell us how it went in 10 days time

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
Thank you Anniec and Collecting rocks [what sort of rocks do you collect?!] for your replies. Will let you know how the HbA1c goes. Sounds like you've done the same sort of thing diet wise. I know I used to eat far too much salt and sugar too .It's only recently that there is so much in the press about sugar. I believe the Paleo way of eating is good too. Sort of low carb, or is it no carb. What bothered me is that they were so focused on hypertension that nobody noticed the Hba1c numbers or if they did they certainly didn't mention them to me. Had I not seen them online how long would it have been before full blow T2 had developed I wonder.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe the Paleo way of eating is good too. Sort of low carb, or is it no carb.

They were hunter gatherers and gathered whilst they moved between their seasonal hunting grounds. They didn't waste any opportunity to feed, including eating grass seeds. That's how farming was invented. Even current day hunter gatherers such as the Penan extract starch from the Sago Palm as a source of food and the Nukak-Makú of Amazonia use the manioc root to produce a flour to make a type of bread and a porridge. Saami of Fenno-Scandinavia still produce bark bread as a tradition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
I got my results last week and the HbA1c was exactly the same as 12 months earlier. 41 mmol/mol or 5.9%. The cut off point for pre diabetes is 42 mmol/mol or 6% and the doc says that I have pre diabetes and had I not lost weight and made life style changes they would have risen. That he says is the all the advice they give at this stage. My BMI is now <19 and I have no central fat, so really have nowhere to go. Diet is low carb and high fat. He says when my numbers reach closer to 50 [and he says they will !!] he will have the metformin ready for me, Even thin and fit people get Type 2 he says. and to come back in a year for a further A1c test. Oh Joy - I can't wait!!!

collectingrocks

So the challenge for you is to keep your numbers well below 50 and disappoint your GP. He will have to give your metformin to somebody else - what a shame!

Again, well done for doing what you did - and keep going!

Reactions: 2 people

Karbstruck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
injustice
That is such a negative attitude from your doctor. You have done well, so keep at it and prove him wrong. Just imagine the satisfaction that will give you.

Reactions: 2 people