1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

worried about high bs

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by mollycat1, Jul 12, 2014.

1. mollycat1

mollycat1 Type 2 · Member

Just need some advise please ! Not sure what to do and am a bit scared ! Have had a really bad cough for 3 weeks and after some `nagging` from husband got an appointment with nurse on Thursday 10th. She was very thorough and said that it was good that I went and then she diagnosed me with pneumonia ! Never had anything like this before so was really `shocked`. Now on Amoxillin 500mg, Told me to keep an eye on my BS and if they went above 13 I was to tell them. I`m very hot but don`t feel too bad; actually showered and washed hair this morning ! Slept well too. Surgery called me yesterday to ask how I was and kept telling me that if I felt unwell and my BS was elevated I was to call 111 over the weekend. I assured them that I would, but am scared - what could they do about them anyway ? Don1t want to go in hospital !
    I am Type 2, very active and a positive person, I have 1 x 40mg Gliclaxide after breakfast (which was porridge made with water with a bit of double cream and some frozen berries)
    Then with my main meal I now have 2 x 1000mg SR Metformin and another Gliclaxide. At 21.30 I have Liraglutide. Coincidentally,I am due an appt. with DN for results of recent blood tests this Thursday (I know that I am know 8ish but that hasn`t changed since my last tests, despite the added Gliclaxide) .
    Anyway, just done a BS and I was 23.8 ! Woke up with 18.1 and at 9.50 (before breakfast) I was 17.5. Before I fell asleep last night I had a reading of 22.9 !
    I know I have a temperature `cos I`m hot and quite `clammy` - that must be the infection in my lungs but I really feel ok - not `wobbly` or confused !

Would appreciate some advise before I call 111 please !

2. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I'm assuming that as you are on Liraglutide you may be overweight? If so, you need to get the weight down to reduce that and blood sugar. You can do this thru reducing the carbs in the food you eat; porridge is not good. Most illnesses will cause a rise in blood sugar. Obviously any suspicion that the pneumonia isn't under control you should seek urgent medical help. It might be useful to temporarily increase the Gliclazide but you should check with the surgery and watch out for hypos if you do increase it. Ketoacidosis, which is dangerous, normally only happens when you have both elevated blood sugar and are burning fats (Ketosis) due to very low-carbing. This is less likely for you but do have plenty of water and seek medical help if in doubt.

3. jim1951

jim1951 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

mollycat1, sorry you are unwell.

As I understand it, an infection can raise your BS levels but I don't know how high it would push them.

I would do the right thing and get checked out at A&E if that was the advice from your surgery.

jim

4. Anie

Anie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When I had an infection a few weeks ago, I was advised to speak to the out of hours Dr if my bs went over 20. Why don't you ring and speak to someone if you are worried or your levels keep rising.

5. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

A&E seems the best place with high bg, you may have ketones that need treating

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook