Worried about my eyes

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My retinal screening tets have always been fine although I'm overdue for one now. My eyes have been very slightly blurred for a while but I'm overdue for an eye test so put it down to that. But over the last couple of weeks they've suddenly got worse, it seems as my glucose levels have gone down the blurriness has got worse.

When I started reading the book I'm on now I was reading without my reading glasses even though the print is quite small. Then I had to start wearing my glasses and over the last few nights it's been getting more blurry until I'm now having difficulty reading it at all. And yesterday i had to start wearing reading glasses when using laptop, never had to do that before.
It's happening very quick and I've just found something saying that if glucose levels drop fast retinopathy can deteriorate.

I'm going to be having the screening soon but I'm sitting here in the early hours scared that the high levels I've had over the last year or so have damaged my eyes and I'm dreading the test results coming back.
By the way, my Mum had diabetes and glaucoma.

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
get your tests for retinopathy, but it may just be your eye lens adjusting to lower BG, buy cheap readers till they settle down and then buy prescription ones

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I coud try some bought readers, the ones I'm using now are prescription but obviously not p to the job at the moment.
I know when I was first diagnosed my eyes were bad but improved with my levles, but this time it didn;t really get bad till a week or so after my levels improved. But hopefully as you say it could just be my eyes adjusting, fingers crossed!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's happening very quick and I've just found something saying that if glucose levels drop fast retinopathy can deteriorate.

You say your previous retinal screening tests have been fine so you may be worrying needlessly about retinopathy, however as your concerned about your vision I would go and see your gp and discuss matters, if they feel there's a need they can refer you over to a hospital ophthalmology clinic.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You say your previous retinal screening tests have been fine so you may be worrying needlessly about retinopathy, however as your concerned about your vision I would go and see your gp and discuss matters, if they feel there's a need they can refer you over to a hospital ophthalmology clinic.
Alternatively, book in for a free eye test with your optician and explain your concerns. They will check your eyes there and if they see anything amiss will immediately refer you to an ophthalmic clinic. Personally I would take this route as it would give you either immediate piece of mind or some level of diagnosis.

If you are in London, you can also go to Moorfields A&E if you feel it is necessary.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Alternatively, book in for a free eye test with your optician and explain your concerns. They will check your eyes there and if they see anything amiss will immediately refer you to an ophthalmic clinic. Personally I would take this route as it would give you either immediate piece of mind or some level of diagnosis.

If you are in London, you can also go to Moorfields A&E if you feel it is necessary.

Yes indeed, Specsavers now do retinal checks as part of their eye test, but there can be other medical reasons for blurry vision so the OP is best to see their gp if the problem persists.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My local Specsavers don't do it, apparently there is only one optician in each area registered to do it and in Tavistock it's not Specsavers. I've recently moved back into Devon from Cornwall and apparently I can't book a retinal screening until I get a letter from the Diabetic Service to say I'm back in their area and I'm still waiting for that. Seems it will be early March till i get an appointment for the screening.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@rowan, as you say your eyes have got much worse over the last few week I wouldn't wait until March, pop along and see your Dr.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've spoken to Specsavers (where I get my glasses) and the optician who does the retinal screening and they both say this is normal if glucose levels have gone down quickly and not to worry. I'm also going to speak to my surgery on Monday.

Reactions: 4 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My retinal screening tets have always been fine although I'm overdue for one now. My eyes have been very slightly blurred for a while but I'm overdue for an eye test so put it down to that. But over the last couple of weeks they've suddenly got worse, it seems as my glucose levels have gone down the blurriness has got worse.

When I started reading the book I'm on now I was reading without my reading glasses even though the print is quite small. Then I had to start wearing my glasses and over the last few nights it's been getting more blurry until I'm now having difficulty reading it at all. And yesterday i had to start wearing reading glasses when using laptop, never had to do that before.

I'm going to be having the screening soon but I'm sitting here in the early hours scared that the high levels I've had over the last year or so have damaged my eyes and I'm dreading the test results coming back.
Hi
you should been screened once a year by eye photographs so any changers can be picked up early keep a good check on your blood pressure and blood sugars.
i no to my cost 15 years ago i had lots of treatment on my eyes but now they have been stable.
they are more aware now days of eye problems and it the first sign of getting things back on track. i worked long hours lots of very heavy lifting 14 hour days and it realty mess me up.
i wished i new then what i know now..
still OK after all that treatment 15 years ago
don't worry but do get it checked and blood presurer

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My local Specsavers don't do it, apparently there is only one optician in each area registered to do it and in Tavistock it's not Specsavers. I've recently moved back into Devon from Cornwall and apparently I can't book a retinal screening until I get a letter from the Diabetic Service to say I'm back in their area and I'm still waiting for that. Seems it will be early March till i get an appointment for the screening.
As part of a normal eye test at spec savers they take photos. Just book an apt with your local optician who is more than capable of looking at your eyes and detecting any problems. If a problem is seen s/he will contact your GP. If Tavi don't have the magic camera book an apt at Launceston they have one and do the photo as part of vision test.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They do the photos but not the retinal screening, there's another optician in Tavistock who is registered to do teh screenings in this area and I'll be going to them once I've been registered with the Devon Diabetic Service and have a letter from them, you can't just phone up and make an appointment, you have to be referred to them.
I can't go to Launceston because I don't live in Cornwall any more so won't get a referral.
I had a long chat with teh optician yesterday and I'll be having my normal eye test a bit later when the blurriness has eased as any glasses I get now won't be any good when my eyes settle.
My blood pressure was checked yesterday, it was fine as it always is.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
They do the photos but not the retinal screening, there's another optician in Tavistock who is registered to do teh screenings in this area and I'll be going to them once I've been registered with the Devon Diabetic Service and have a letter from them, you can't just phone up and make an appointment, you have to be referred to them.
I can't go to Launceston because I don't live in Cornwall any more so won't get a referral.
I had a long chat with teh optician yesterday and I'll be having my normal eye test a bit later when the blurriness has eased as any glasses I get now won't be any good when my eyes settle.
My blood pressure was checked yesterday, it was fine as it always is.

I think we are talking at crossed purposes here. You can go anywhere you like for your vision test. Spec savers do the photos which are exactly the same as the retinal screening at a normal sight test. I checked this out.
The mobile screening service comes round here anyway.
I wanted to be double sure about my sight after cataract surgery so rang Spec savers and they said come in for a full eye test and we will take photo's as part of the examination. If you want the photo done with drops they will do them with drops.
So you can go to spec savers as a stop gap before you go to the official NHS screening if you are so worried about your vision.

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes indeed, Specsavers now do retinal checks as part of their eye test, but there can be other medical reasons for blurry vision so the OP is best to see their gp if the problem persists.
I agree with you. i have an appointment sent to me every year for a screen this comes from the hospital and is done anywhere they can find a room in a,clinics,doctors,mobile buses.so they can check me against photos of my retinas that they have on file. a lot better than going to my hospitals eye dept and waiting for up to 4 hours to get seen. very busy place
as you say spec savers do the same but i would ask first. any problems and your sent to the eye hospital.via your GP

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
First stop is optician if have an eye problem unless an obvious infection like conjunctivitis. Opticians are trained in eye health and able to spot other health problems. When my dad was alive his GP told him to go the optician when he complained of pain in his eye and blurred vision. Optician then sent him straight back to GP with urgent letter for hospital referral.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
First stop is optician if have an eye problem unless an obvious infection like conjunctivitis. Opticians are trained in eye health and able to spot other health problems. When my dad was alive his GP told him to go the optician when he complained of pain in his eye and blurred vision. Optician then sent him straight back to GP with urgent letter for hospital referral.

That's good that your dad got such prompt attention, personally I would go to my gp first but agree on what you say about the opticians.

christoffa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long does it take for blurry vision to return to normal?
I've been type 2 for 6 years controlled by diet and exercise, then within a week my eyes went from normal to blurry, really scared me, I couldn't see the really large motorway signs. Went to opticians, no eye problem, said blurry vision would be down to glucose levels, went to GP, levels were high 11, started on 2x500mg tabs, levels down to 9 (3 weeks), now on 3x500mg and up to 4x500mg next week, still have some blurry vision but its improving.

What caught me out was the yearly HB1AC test, only checking once a year is not enough, I requested a blood glucose monitor from my GP but he refused. If i buy my own I'll have to purchase needles/strips etc too.

Thanks
Chris.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi as a diabetic you will need a dilation eye test where they put a drop in your eyes to make the pupil larger so they can see the back of your eyes better . This should be done once a year . I've just had mine done don't forget to take sunglasses with you every thing is so bright for about 3 hours . . I've have blurred vision and I wad advised at the hospital by a consultant to get glasses as I drive Hope this of help
Clive

Amethyst8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Hi there, I was told that if i control my blood sugar then my eyes will be bettter. I
have complained about my blurring vision at the eye clinic it's also due to diabetes. I had cataract ops on both eyes 3 yrs back & now had to have Laser treatment to stop any leak/bleeding.My second visit couldn't complete the shots as I was told got deep set eyes
& have to lie down to do the test next week.
I wear glasses for distance & also for reading ( verifocals) also use a magnifying glass to help me to read.
There are two hospitals in London,Moorfields & Royal Free excellant in their work they explain everything & I can ask any questions
regarding eyes.
You say that you are overdue for an eye test could it be that your eye sight has changed?
Wish you all the best!!

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My ophthalmic consultant said that it's the rollercoaster spikes which cause the damage. This might explain why people who take insulin are more likely to get retinopathy ( I read on NHS leaflet).