Worried about my mum...

Hi all,

I've been type one for eighteen years and understand most of the symptoms of hyperglycaemia and therefore can tend to spot if someone's heading in the wrong direction. My mum is healthy, exercises a lot and eats really well. Somewhat paleo eating but she does enjoy a good ice cream on occasion!

Recently, particularly since starting paleo, she's been complaining about how the carbs make her feel - brain foggy and occasionally just downright unwell. She goes to the toilet a fair amount too, but always has as shes a very keen water drinker. Anyway, being worried about her, I gave her my spare meter and told her to test the next time she's feeling unwell.
I just got a text from her saying she was feeling rubbish, tested and was 7.4mmol/l - I believe this is about 133mg/dl for those of you outside of the UK.
She also said that she hadn't eaten for the past 2 hours and had been on a five mile walk.

I appreciate 7.4 isn't terrible (god knows there are days that I would kill for such a level), but I'm aware that a fasting non-diabetic shouldn't be over seven (she's not fasting as such... I get that!).

Now, I honestly don't know whether a non-diabetic's liver releases glucagon as and when it gets nervous about exercise like some of us - so did her levels start dipping and her liver has likely brought her back up? Is this level fine? Or should we see about getting a doctors appt?

I'm telling her to test in the morning, for a better idea of her fasting glucose levels... Better safe than sorry, right?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mostly a two hour reading in regarded as OK if it is below 8.5.

You are confused about a fasting reading which is a lot longer than two hours. Anything from 8 to 14 hours according to members of this forum.

Go see the doctor and get tested. Where's the harm in that.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi definitely get her to the Doctor to get it checked out as the sooner it is sorted the better.