Worried About My Young Boy

monkeymutha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first post on here..

I was diagnosed with Diabetes at the age of 13 (26 years ago), my mother noticed it immediately as she was type 1 diabetic. I've been reading a few posts on these forums and am concerned that my son who is 1.5 years may eventually get the illness (as it is hereditary). Can anyone offer any advice at what ages the illness is brought on, obviously for me it was 13, and offer any insight into how they recognised it themselves in their offspring?

Thanks.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi,
I don't know much about hereditary factors, however, because diabetes runs female,male, female down our family line through the generations my nephew routinely gets tested for diabetes by a very nice GP that has agreed to do it. However, I think it is only done every 2 years....he is now 21 and so far so good.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi

we were told at diagnosis (nearly 5 years ago) that there was no proven link that type 1 is hereditary they said type 2 was but there was no proven link in type 1s, so there is no guarantee he will develope it unless things have changed in the last 5 years. however the age is different for everyone young babies have been diagnosed my son was 4 so could be any age there is no guarantee.

i know its easy to say but i wouldnt worry urself when u dont need to if he gets it deal with it then and it isnt the end of the world there is plenty of support here. if u are worried the best thing u can do is go to ur gp and get him checked dont leave it to see we did and it got really bad ill keep my fingers crossed for u and let us know how things go

anna marie

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think it's a certainty that your son will inherit diabetes from you. I believe there are environmental factors that can trigger it too. No one is certain what the environmental trigger might be. I guess as you have a family history of type 1 then you should be on the look out for symptoms but try not to worry about something that hasn't happened yet. The usual symptoms are increased thirst, more frequent urination, rapid loss of weight, tiredness and fatigue. A child (and adult) can develop type 1 at any age but it's more common to develop type 1 in childhood or as a young adult.

sugar2

Hi,

I am not going to be much help I am afraid, as I don't know teh answer to your question. I guess, as I diabetic yourself, like your Mum with you, you are the best person to recognise teh signs...but this doesn't really help I know! I confess, that if either of my children has quite a bit to drink, I watch them a hawk...if they go to the loo more than once an hour of so, I am twitching to test their blood!! I have only done it once (they are 4 and 2) but it is a paranoia of mine. Will one, or both of them get it? I don't know, I hope not, but as there is nothing I can do to stop it, I just have to live with teh worry. I guess as T1s ourselve we are in a great place to cope, should our children be diagnosed...and as we know, whilst I would not wish this condition on anyone, ithas not stopped me having a great life, and doing what I wanto to do with it, so I am not going to let my worry about it impact their lives at all.

As to age, urrmm, I don't know. As I was 4 at diagnosis, the fact that my daughter is nearly 5 and diabetes free is giving me hope...although I have nothing to base this on.

Elc1112

Hi,

Nobody can predict whether your son will get diabetes or, if he does, when it will happen. You will know the symptoms more than most. Keep an eye on it but try not to let it worry you too much. Even if he is diagnosed you will know exactly how to deal with it and will be fantastic at helping him come to terms with it. I hope it doesn't happen to him, but sure he will be the most well-informed from the outset if it does :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Totally agree...you know exactly what to watch for and what to do and how to handle it. You will know and you will deal with it IF it should ever occur.

You are obviously well aware and the diet of your family and yourself probably lowers the risk of it in some way, but until they can accurately tell us 100% what causes us to get diabetes then it will be a waiting game, fo r which you are very well prepared, and that you should give yourself a break from worrying about it. Life is to be enjoyed, and there is a lot worse than diabetes that can occur...so just try to give yourself a break from worrying......