Worried about son aged 5

meplusthree

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi there, hope someone can help me, i'm completely new to diabetes and i'm worried my son may have it.

He's been constantly thirsty and weeing alot and this weekend he was complaining of headaches, he's never had a headache before and it twigged that it might be diabetes. I have a glucose monitor for myself as i like to check mine from time to time so i checked his last night before bed and it was 21.1, checked again this morning as soon as he woke and it was 6, he had some toast and i checked again an hour later and it was 13.8. Would this suggest diabetes? I know these readings are high but are the worryingly high?

I have today called our gp and the receptionist was not concerned at all and the earliest he could be seen was monday next week. Should they not be seeing him asap? Should i be getting him seen sooner or shall i wait untill monday?

Any help much appreciated :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Did you wash your son's hands before you tested him? If so then You need an urgent apt not sometime next week.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those readings are high and I would not be waiting a week for an appointment - if I were you I would call 111 or take your son to a&e. Although he sounds fine and is probably not in any immediate danger, the sooner he gets seen the better.

Did he have clean hands when the readings were done? Do you have any means of checking for ketones?

Reactions: 2 people

meplusthree

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi there, thanks for replying, yes clean hands and no i dont have anything for testing ketones, is that something i would be able to get at the local chemist? My partner suggested a&e if he still has high readings but i worry they will think i'm nuts and wonder why i have taken him there. I hadn't thought of the 111 service i may try that this evening

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
NHS Direct are pretty good for escalating direct with the GP if they think there is an issue.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, thanks for replying, yes clean hands and no i dont have anything for testing ketones, is that something i would be able to get at the local chemist? My partner suggested a&e if he still has high readings but i worry they will think i'm nuts and wonder why i have taken him there. I hadn't thought of the 111 service i may try that this evening
A&e will not think you are nuts if you come in as an undiagnosed diabetic with blood sugar of 20+ - that is absolutely a sensible thing to do. However, it might be more pleasant for you & your son if it can be escalated via the gp - I'd be calling 111 now or trying to speak to a doctor (not receptionist) at the gp surgery.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would be very worried with those readings. You say you have a monitor...are your test strips in date? If you've ruled out the clean hands thing...and with those symptoms I would have him seen straight away...ignore the receptionist and tell her it's an emergency. Hope you get him sorted out...do keep us updated

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh...and you can pick up ketone test strips in the chemist...Ketostix...usually around a fiver

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would ring GP back and demand an appointment today, or take your child to minor injuries unit if you have one. If not I go with the better safe than sorry theory with my sons and a trip to A&E if GP won't see him until next week.

I test my sons BG levels regularly and they do spike a lot after eating but come down to 'normal' levels within 2 hours. Did your sons come back down to his pre-breakfast levels 2 hours after his toast?

C

catherinecherub

Classes signs for a child with diabetes.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_involved/Campaigning/Our-campaigns/4-Ts-campaign/
Too many children and young people are not diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes unitl they are in diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), a life-threatening condition that requires urgent medical attention. It’s a frightening time for everyone involved.

We are raising awareness of the four most common symptoms of Type 1 diabetes (the 4 Ts), to make sure more children are diagnosed early.

A4_Poster2_4Ts-200x280.jpg

What are the 4 Ts?
  • Toilet
    Going to the toilet a lot, bed wetting by a previously dry child or heavier nappies in babies
  • Thirsty
    Being really thirsty and not being able to quench the thirst
  • Tired
    Feeling more tired than usual
  • Thinner
    Losing weight or looking thinner than usual

By making sure children and young people get a quick diagnosis and early treatment, we can avoid them becoming seriously ill with diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).

meplusthree

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thanks for all your help, i have collected him from school and he has said that he had a headache again before lunch and on the way home from school. I have tested again and he is 6 at the moment. I am on hold to nhs direct now so will let you know what they say.

Reactions: 4 people

hells_jones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there, hope someone can help me, i'm completely new to diabetes and i'm worried my son may have it.

He's been constantly thirsty and weeing alot and this weekend he was complaining of headaches, he's never had a headache before and it twigged that it might be diabetes. I have a glucose monitor for myself as i like to check mine from time to time so i checked his last night before bed and it was 21.1, checked again this morning as soon as he woke and it was 6, he had some toast and i checked again an hour later and it was 13.8. Would this suggest diabetes? I know these readings are high but are the worryingly high?

I have today called our gp and the receptionist was not concerned at all and the earliest he could be seen was monday next week. Should they not be seeing him asap? Should i be getting him seen sooner or shall i wait untill monday?

Any help much appreciated :)
My 13yr old son was recently diagnosed, same symptoms and was admitted with a reading of 22. I would definitely head to A&E x

Reactions: 3 people

Natalie S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should imagine that if she was onto NHS direct she;d be at the hospital right now. When I suspected my son had it, was at doctors same morning, that evening at hospital and stayed there for a few days, my sons readings were 20. Hope they are there anyway, best place for the little boy.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hi Me plus 3. I would suggest that you take him to A+E when his sugar is high not when it is normal. Give him some food and wait and hour before testing- make sure he has washed his hands and don't use alcohol wipes. if it is above 12 then go- if it is above 20 then go quickly and take the meter with you. the GP should be squeezing hi in much quicker.
I was 4 when I was diagnosed and had non typical type 1 so that I was only high at 11 am in the morning- but the hospital would not see me unti the afternoon when it was normal etc. when it is starting his pancreas will still work in part so he will have normal sugars sometimes. Make sure they aren't normal when you take him- took my poor mum a month to have my diagnosis. Don't worry- although it is not what we want for our child he will adapt quickly and possibly never remember not being diabetic.
good luck- and just remember a parent is the best person to know when something is wrong with their own child- so don't let them fob you off. Not everyone follow normal patterns.

nicolaryan09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would of suggested a&e if hands were clean when testing. My son was diagnosed at 5 (hes 6 now) and we checked 1 night because he was drinking loads and going to the toilet (his dad is Type 1 so we had a meter to hand) he was 26mmol. Straight in the car and straight to hospital and admitted straight away. He was caught very early and woke in hospital with a normal blood sugar of 4.6. They let him eat and monitored blood glucose for the first 24hours before we started insulin. He only needed tiny amounts at first because he was still producing a fair bit of his own insulin. I hope you got sorted, please let us know xxx

KirstyN76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He needs to be seen quickly. My daughter was diagnosed in December with a bg of 25.9. My friend who is a diabetic nurse tested her and when she saw that reading took her straight to a & e. Symptoms before that were thirsty and a lot of peeing. It's a terrifying thought at first but best to be safe as he would be at risk of DKA. Let us know how you get on xxx

meplusthree

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi, thanks for all the replys, i gave up with nhs and persisted with the dr and he called this morning, he was quiet shocked at the readings and agreed he needs to be seen so he has booked him in for a blood test tomorrow morning, they only have one nurse able to do a childs blood test and she isnt in untill tomorrow. To be honest i'm really cheesed off with their lack of worry for him. I will continue testing his blood sugar and take him to a&e if i get another high reading. I told the dr this and he agreed it was a sensible plan. So far we have had readings between 9 and 12.

Does anyone know what type of blood test they will do? I also have to take a urine sample with me. The poor boy also had a nosebleed for the 1st time this morning, is that a symptom?

Thanks again for all your help, i am so glad i found this site :)

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @meplusthree

It's quite likely that the doctor will give him a finger prick test...and test for ketones and perhaps run an HBA1c...which will take a few days to get back. If he has signs of ketones in his urine they will most likely pack you straight off to A&E anyway...for that reason I wonder if you might be best to bypass the doctors surgery and head straight there and get him checked over there. Without wanting to scare you...while his BG isn't dangerously high...this can change quite quickly...especially in a young child...better to play it safe. Hope you get it all worked out and please come back and let us know how you get on