Worried About Symptoms[Doctor Reassurance Does Not Help]

Triceraptors

I was ill with flu-like symptoms since start of March and finally got rid of it after 3 weeks.
I also had GI issues and the doctor told me to get on Metronidozole for 2 weeks to try to clear
up some kind of bacteria.

After 2 weeks course, feeling horrible, with weird taste in my mouth, I finally mustered energy to get
to the gym. That was 2 days after the course, around 1.5 weeks ago. I felt sweet taste in my mouth, felt
horrible and had to cut my workout short.

After this, I called ER because I had bad pressure behind my eyes, sweat a lot, dizzy and lethargic for whole
day. The blood glucose was 4.7 after whole night of not eating and a meal of some fatty cheese. They found ketones
in my urine, no glucose there though.

Fast forward a week further, the symptoms did not disappear. After meals, I feel a headache, lethargy, pressure behind
my eyes and feel generally horrible. I went to another doctor where I got 4.7 as a result and this time, no ketones or glucose
in my urine. Two days later I felt not great again and had an appointment booked in advance so just went to it. This time I ate some food 4 hours before the appointment and glucometer shown value 6.2. I read that blood glucose should drop back to 4.7-5.5 range after 2 hours of eating .Those were 4 hours and concerns me a lot.

Today, I had an Hba1c result that was around 4.6 mmol/mol.

While my current levels are fine, I am concerned about those facts that I brought up to the doctor: I lost 3kg of weight in 3 weeks. Sweet taste in my mouth, sweet smelling urine(it smells sweetish even without ketones presence there). I have lethargy and feel dizzy after meals, especially with more carbs(rice, banana). Actually, I feel best after night's sleep(seems to correlate with normal blood glucose levels) but then after eating food and going about my day, my mood and energy levels go down.

Something does not make sense to me, I seem to get symptoms hyperglycemia after meals and feel better after not eating for 5-6 hours. Am I overreacting? I am afraid that Hba1c does not show correct result because the symptoms onset was quite fast and it is a 3 month average. Am I justified to get a glucometer and measure my levels myself? My doctor seems to be ****** off that I focus so much on disease(grandmother had it) but I read that Type 1 diabetes might have a sudden onset and I never had such symptoms before. I remember getting lethargic after meals several months back but never felt too horrible. Can someone give me advice on how to quell my fears? Doctors made comments as follows: "you can't just suddendly get diabetes", "when I had readings 4.4, 4.7(fasted) and 6.2(4 hours after meal) they are normal according to them". I would heed the conclusions but I just don't feel well after meals and want some reassurance or steps I can take to investigate this further.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I do sympathise with you.
First of all welcome to the forum.

What I would suggest is find a bit of time and start reading through the forums.
There is some great knowledge and experience here
But before that I would read the reactive hypoglycaemia forum, as I can seriously see similarities between me and you.

I cannot diagnose you, against forum rules, but I can advise and tell you that certain rare blood glucose disorders are not usually picked up at GP level.

Most of them have to hospital tests to get a true diagnosis. I did.

My hba1c is normal, my finger prick results are in normal range until I eat certain types of foods.

Gain knowledge, I will answer any more questions.

Again, welcome to the forum.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was ill with flu-like symptoms since start of March and finally got rid of it after 3 weeks.
I also had GI issues and the doctor told me to get on Metronidozole for 2 weeks to try to clear
up some kind of bacteria.

After 2 weeks course, feeling horrible, with weird taste in my mouth, I finally mustered energy to get
to the gym. That was 2 days after the course, around 1.5 weeks ago. I felt sweet taste in my mouth, felt
horrible and had to cut my workout short.

After this, I called ER because I had bad pressure behind my eyes, sweat a lot, dizzy and lethargic for whole
day. The blood glucose was 4.7 after whole night of not eating and a meal of some fatty cheese. They found ketones
in my urine, no glucose there though.

Fast forward a week further, the symptoms did not disappear. After meals, I feel a headache, lethargy, pressure behind
my eyes and feel generally horrible. I went to another doctor where I got 4.7 as a result and this time, no ketones or glucose
in my urine. Two days later I felt not great again and had an appointment booked in advance so just went to it. This time I ate some food 4 hours before the appointment and glucometer shown value 6.2. I read that blood glucose should drop back to 4.7-5.5 range after 2 hours of eating .Those were 4 hours and concerns me a lot.

Today, I had an Hba1c result that was around 4.6 mmol/mol.

While my current levels are fine, I am concerned about those facts that I brought up to the doctor: I lost 3kg of weight in 3 weeks. Sweet taste in my mouth, sweet smelling urine(it smells sweetish even without ketones presence there). I have lethargy and feel dizzy after meals, especially with more carbs(rice, banana). Actually, I feel best after night's sleep(seems to correlate with normal blood glucose levels) but then after eating food and going about my day, my mood and energy levels go down.

Something does not make sense to me, I seem to get symptoms hyperglycemia after meals and feel better after not eating for 5-6 hours. Am I overreacting? I am afraid that Hba1c does not show correct result because the symptoms onset was quite fast and it is a 3 month average. Am I justified to get a glucometer and measure my levels myself? My doctor seems to be ****** off that I focus so much on disease(grandmother had it) but I read that Type 1 diabetes might have a sudden onset and I never had such symptoms before. I remember getting lethargic after meals several months back but never felt too horrible. Can someone give me advice on how to quell my fears? Doctors made comments as follows: "you can't just suddendly get diabetes", "when I had readings 4.4, 4.7(fasted) and 6.2(4 hours after meal) they are normal according to them". I would heed the conclusions but I just don't feel well after meals and want some reassurance or steps I can take to investigate this further.

To be perfectly honest, I think your readings look fine. Neither the finger-prick (immediate situation) nor your HbA1c (summary of the recent past) are in troublesome ranges. Indeed, your HbA1c is excellent.

If you have had a gastric issue meaningful enough to have had Metronidazole prescribed, then there is the potential that your digestive system is still recovering from both the initial problem, and the medication. Metronidazole is known to sometimes affect the taste too.

I, personally, usually find it takes me longer to get over the course of antibiotics than it does for them to work.

In summary, in your shoes, I would be inclined to see what happens over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully things will settle down for you and you will feel better.

I'm not a doctor, so this is just my viewpoint and how I would view your position myself.

Reactions: 2 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a bit of a 'wait and see' sort of girl also - most of my friends aren't and whip off to the doctors ages before I would. These sound to me like viral symptoms (but I am also not a doctor I am giving an opinion as a lay person). I would try adding probiotics to your diet, to overcome the harmful effects of the anti-biopics, be kind to yourself (maybe have a walk rather than a strenuous hour at the gym) and try to be less stressed, which I know is easier said than done! 2 months ago I had a three day period of dreadful nausea accompanied with an awful headache - the nausea disappeared after 3 days, the headache took 6 weeks, but it gradually improved over that time so I hung in there, had a back and neck massage fortnightly, where my masseuse found some serious 'knots' that were agony as she massaged them away, but slowly, slowly, my body took itself back to health. There are some weird viruses out there that effect people differently, and you have to let your immune system deal with them. In the short term, try not to worry, have plenty of fluids and rest.

Reactions: 2 people

Triceraptors

Thank you for information. I found out that glucometers are quite inaccurate. I bought the cheapest one I could find - CodeFree - is it good enough?