Worried about time spent with high blood sugar levels

Caprock94

So looking back at past blood tests, it appears that I spent about a year in the diabetic level range before I was diagnosed. I have managed to quickly lower my A1c from 8.5% at diagnosis, to 5.9% after three months of LCHF, and I am now at 5.2%. Wondering how much damage I might have done in a year's time.

My eye exam was good. I had no symptoms at diagnosis, but started getting burning sensations in my feet after about 6 weeks of dropping my blood sugar levels. Hoping I don't have permanent damage.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The great unknown I'm afraid. But good to see you had measurement records.

Last edited:

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The body slowly repairs itself when sugars are normal. Life is always full of uncertainties but I reckon after a few years, you'll not be a lot worse off than if you never had diabetes.

Remember that many people have elevated BGs for a decade or more before they start getting complications.

Reactions: Caprock94

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So looking back at past blood tests, it appears that I spent about a year in the diabetic level range before I was diagnosed. I have managed to quickly lower my A1c from 8.5% at diagnosis, to 5.9% after three months of LCHF, and I am now at 5.2%. Wondering how much damage I might have done in a year's time.

My eye exam was good. I had no symptoms at diagnosis, but started getting burning sensations in my feet after about 6 weeks of dropping my blood sugar levels. Hoping I don't have permanent damage.
Facebook very helpfully showed me something I posted in 2014 as a "here, have a happy memory!" thing, about my eyesight and getting specs. I was quite diabetic then, but wasn't diagnosed until 2 years later. Lord knows how long it'd been going on before my eyes went bad at that time. You might have had some damage, and the burning may well be your body fixing it now. It may take a while, but your current HbA1c is reason for hope.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Can't give you false assurances but as a type 1 my understanding is that it takes years plural of higher blood sugars to get micro vascular complications (eyes, nerve endings, kidneys). The difference with type 2 is that prior to having high blood sugars you had high insulin levels also and this can be damaging too since it occurs for years prior to diagnosis. However there is nothing you can do about the past other than keep an eye on the markers for metabolic disease (hypertension, fatty liver and CVD) as well as keeping doing what you are doing so well now (food and exercise to keep your insulin and blood sugars low).

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard that the repairing of damage can be quite painful. @Jim Lahey tells a similar tale. So it may in a strange way be a positive sign.

M

Member496333

I have heard that the repairing of damage can be quite painful. @Jim Lahey tells a similar tale. So it may in a strange way be a positive sign.

Yeah I suffered unspeakable pain. Constant burning and throbbing if I was lucky. Searing, stabbing pain if I was unlucky. It was a dark time. Thankfully everything is now tip-top and my plates of meat feel amazing :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t know how long I was hitting Type 2 levels for. It wasn’t just for one day. I was also at Prediabetic levels for a few years. My eye sight has deteriorated over this time. But I had an eye test the other day and the optician gave me the all clear of diabetic related damage.

In terms of other symptoms, they have largely been reversed.

Caprock94

I don’t know how long I was hitting Type 2 levels for. It wasn’t just for one day. I was also at Prediabetic levels for a few years. My eye sight has deteriorated over this time. But I had an eye test the other day and the optician gave me the all clear of diabetic related damage.

In terms of other symptoms, they have largely been reversed.

That's great news! Glad you are doing well. Did you have any problems with your feet for a period of time?

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never heard of this , is there a thread on here to read more ? Glad everything is well now.
Yeah I suffered unspeakable pain. Constant burning and throbbing if I was lucky. Searing, stabbing pain if I was unlucky. It was a dark time. Thankfully everything is now tip-top and my plates of meat feel amazing :D

Caprock94

I've never heard of this , is there a thread on here to read more ? Glad everything is well now.

Jim was kind enough to reply to my thread about burning pain in my feet. My pain started AFTER lowering blood sugar levels to normal ranges. Still having some issues with it, but it's only been 4 months or so. I understand it takes time to heal. Hoping for a nice recovery like Jim had.

M

Member496333

Jim was kind enough to reply to my thread about burning pain in my feet. My pain started AFTER lowering blood sugar levels to normal ranges. Still having some issues with it, but it's only been 4 months or so. I understand it takes time to heal. Hoping for a nice recovery like Jim had.

Yeah same with me. Previously they were just slightly numb. The numbness was mild enough and had come on slowly enough that I hadn’t even noticed it prior to diagnosis. The pain only started when I began to regain control of my glucose. Presumably a major malfunction when the damaged nerves began repairing themselves. I understand from reading that it’s not entirely unusual.

@VioletViolet I don’t recall posting a specific thread about it.

Reactions: VioletViolet