Worried and stressed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All
I am about 8 weeks pregnant through a donor egg IVF. I had some spotting two weeks ago and mentioned it at my first antenatal diabetic appointment. They shuffled me into a room with a consultant and did a scan. It showed twins and one was six weeks and the other was a few days behind at 5 weeks and 4 days. The heart beat was slow and the fetus were not growing as they should. There were some worried looks and possible miscarriage was mentioned. So our first scan of our babes were not as exciting and lovely as it should have been. The predisolone which I was taking was also affecting my sugar levels. They advised me to change everthing so I can hit their target of 4.3 to 5 before meals and below 6 after meals. I was hitting 10.5 after meal some days and lowest before meal was 6.3 so this was tough. I tried it for a week . On Tues we had a private scan and the sonographer was very worried as the heartbeat was again very slow 65bpm and 70bpm instead of the 120bpm which you would expect at this stage.

Went back to the antenatal diabetic clinic on Friday they decided on insulin and I mentioned the latest scan so they did another one. The consultant said the heartbeat was worrying and the fetus growth was abnormal. He said it was likely they would have problems if they developed further or miscarry. I am now fretting that this is due to my diabetes! I only knew diabetes would influence the size of the babies....keep hearing about big babies etc and not that they can cause abnormalities to occur in the fetus growth.

Has anyone else had this issue and managed to carry the babies full term?

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems. I'm type 1 and had my twins 5m ago delivered at 35w. I didn't have abnormal scans early on but they discovered problems with one of them at 20w scan then when they were born my little boy was seriously ill (resuscitated and ventilated) then had to have life saving surgery (he wouldn't have survived without it and wasn't given fabulous odds). My hba1c was really good but that didn't mean I didn't have peaks.
Just try to keep your sugars in range for as much of the time as possible.
I really hope that everything works out for you. I know it can't be easy but try not to stress as it will make things worse xx

Lucia1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. So sorry to hear this. Ive had 2 babies and it is hard but try and keep your levels as tight as you can. You will have ups and downs but just eat well etc. Also its not true babies to a diabetic mother will be latge both mine were 6lb 10oz and 6lb 11oz and I kept getting told my babies would be big. Hope everyhing works out for you, try think positive xx

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi berkshirebelle, Hope everything goes ok for you and your babies, try not to stress and yes try and eat well.:)

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone. Its been one thing after another. They missed out on the needles in the prescription and I had to wait for someone to come by with the prescription on Friday at 6pm and then rush to the pharmacy to get it as they wanted me to start on Fri. But the pharmacist said they had got it wrong as the brand name was not available. I also realised there that my GP didn't send the prescription for Metformin (which I have to take an increased dosage) either. So I had Metformin for until today (Sunday) and no insulin. I had to work on Saturday so couldn't do anything. Today we called 111 and they send a new prescription for the needles and a temporary supply of Metformin to my walk in centre. Guess what? I had to go to 3 pharmacies to get it fulfilled. Tomorrow I have to called the diabetic unit in the hospital to get them to issue me with prescriptions so I have enough needles for the next few weeks. Another scan this week and god only knows what news I will receive.

Trying to keep positive but wonder if its too late if they are already "abnormal"