Worried! Curious! Need help!

2guns1687

Hi
I have been type1 since i was 6yr old, i am now 25
The last year my blood glucose levels have been rising out of control(10-15-20+)i work silly hours 40+( its not to much it is just the way they are split up over the day plus fitting my workouts in is stressful and hard im a personal trainer so trainin 5-6times a week, on my days off monday & wed i have my 2yr old daughter(so not much rest haha)anyway i have been referred to my hospital diabetes clinic i have my first appointment tommorow i am going to enquire about insulin pump!

My question is what is the criteria to get a pump?

Also has anybody tried a ketogenic diet!? I tried one few month ago pretty much zero carbs and my blood levels were great 4-5 range but it was so hard to stick to!

Anyway very worried about my health thinking of quitting work after new year to concentrate getting my health back in check! Slight changes are happening in my eyes so very worried about blindness etc i want to see my daughter grow up! :(

jleafe

Hiya,

Whilst I can't give you any advise about the insulin pump, what I do know about is that you've probably not got or caused any permanent damage to your eyes.

If you're levels have been high for a while, then your vision may become blurred or feel 'glazed over', however once you get your levels back to normal, your vision should go back to normal.

When I first got diagnosed, less than a year ago, my vision was terrible, I went to get an eye test but was told to come back when I had settled in and when my levels were normal, as it really does affect your day-to-day vision. When I went for an eye-scan, the results were great and I had no damage. My eyes are now as good as ever (which is still bad as I have to wear specs, but still!)

For a suggestion to do with your work, rather than quit your job. Maybe it would be a good idea to speak to your boss company, maybe tell them about your complications and ask to have your hours cut down, temporarily so that you can address your health concerns?

Hope this helps,

Josh

kt78

Hi
I've been type 1 since I was 6 too! I'm 34 now and do have proliferative retinopathy - however this took many years of rebellion to achieve!
Even if you do have problems with your eyes, if caught early, the laser treatments are very successful. Of course, no treatment is perfect but today there are more options than ever before - so please don't worry that you will suddenly lose your sight - this is highly unlikely.
I started a pump 6 months ago and it has changed my life! I will be happy to (try to!) answer any questions you may have. In the meantime please visit www.input.me.uk - they have all the info you need on their website and can help you get access to a pump. I use the omnipod and it's BRILLIANT - if I had got one when I was your age I may have avoided retinopathy altogether!

Hope this helps and try not to worry too much (easier said than done, I know!) :)