Anonymous Question Worried Parents: Type 1 Son's First Lads Holiday

Anonymous Question

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
My 18 year old son has been type 1 diabetic for 9 years now. He has good control of his blood sugar levels, but I'm worried about him as he's going away on his first boys holiday in June! I'm particularly worried if he has a bad hypo (although it hasn't happened in 9 years) and people assuming that he's just drunk . He doesn't drink much but I'm sure in sunny Spain that will be different. What is emergency number in Spain? Any one else been through this?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I'd say you need to have some faith in him and his ability to control his blood sugars. As long as he tests and tries to keep to his routine as much as possible he should be fine.

As a diabetic you don't want to have hypos or bad control and you need to let him take control of himself.

It would probably be worth making sure that the friends or at least the most responsible of them knows the deal and what to do before they go then it's just a question of looking after his insulin ( I recommend these for travel http://www.friouk.com/home/ ) taking enough testing equipment and glucose tablets/gel.

Talk to him about it.

Best

Dillinger

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd have a chat with him - not in a 'I don't trust you' way, but in a way that shows you think he's able to control his own diabetes. You can then go over any concerns, but in a positive 'as you know, of course' way.

If you're especially concerned about the drinking, then maybe mention it, but in a way that implies it's your problem - you love him so you worry - rather than because you don't trust him.

I second the advice about telling his friends. Keep it simple and make sure they know hypo signs and what to do if your son has one, and when to get outside help. Also give them your number.

I presume your son's got or is getting travel insurance?

I believe Spain uses the European emergency number - that is 112.

I hope he has a good trip.