Worried

Lou555

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi there
I wondered if anyone could give me some advise/reassurance?
My 2 year old son has been showing some symptoms like extream thirst, extreamly wet nappies and irratibility. I took him to the docs two days ago and they took a urine test which they said would just be a dip test and could be done at the surgery but when i called in for the results they said the dip test had been done but they had been sent away for further testing and advised me to call back the next day, which I have done and they have now said that the results have been sent electronically but she wasn't able to give me then over the phone and that the results had been referred to a practitioner who isn't in till tomorrow now! Should I be worried or is this normal practice? Surely the doctor we saw originally should be calling me back with results?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Lou555
welcome to the forum :)

probably nothing is going to stop you worrying because you are a MUM and that's what mums do
It sounds to me like just slightly unfortunate timings in the results being available and who on their side to discuss them with you.

I would like to think that everyone in the medical profession is completely proactive and jumps through hoops for their patients but it doesn't always happen.
Keep pestering them though and just make an appt for tomorrow - one of the docs will have to discuss it with you if you are face to face and the results are on his/her screen.

do try not to worry too much though:(.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Lou555, if your boy is still unwell then I'd take him straight back to the Dr's or to your local hospital, if it is diabetes then its paramount that he is treated asap.

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Lou555
welcome to the forum :)

probably nothing is going to stop you worrying because you are a MUM and that's what mums do
It sounds to me like just slightly unfortunate timings in the results being available and who on their side to discuss them with you.

I would like to think that everyone in the medical profession is completely proactive and jumps through hoops for their patients but it doesn't always happen.
Keep pestering them though and just make an appt for tomorrow - one of the docs will have to discuss it with you if you are face to face and the results are on his/her screen.

do try not to worry too much though:(.
on reflection @Lou555 and after reading nobleheads response I would be inclined to get your little boy back to the doctors or local hospital sooner rather than later if he still exhibiting the described symptoms

Reactions: 2 people

Lou555

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you for your replies. He's not unwell, he has had this excessive thirst and saturated nappies. He's alway drank a lot but it's getting ridiculous where he will beg for a drink if I say no. It's the first thing he asks for when he wakes up and doesn't stop throughout the day. Ive noticed he's been a bit more irritable than usual and a little more emotional but I haven't noticed any other symptoms. He's a very healthy child and always has been. It's just very annoying they couldn't put my mind at ease if the results were normal.

Lou555

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for all your help. I called the docs and demanded to speak to the original Doctor we saw. He called me back to discuss the results and said that there is nothing to worry about. Test found no sugar but it was very diluted which shows his intake of fluids is far too much. His body is just peeing it out, therefore his body is trying to constantly catch up. He said I have to cut out fluids all day tomorrow and his body should reset itself.
Easier said than done but I'm so relieved it's nothing serious. Thank you for all your concern. X

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes