1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Worst advert for Diabetics

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by Graham1441, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Graham1441

Graham1441 · Well-Known Member

Hi all, Anyone watch Emerdale farm, the old guy Sandy is supose to be Diabetic but spends most of his time in the pub and eating what he likes, ITV and Emerdale have done diabetics no good with this they make it look as the way to beat diabetes is just carry on as normal.

Graham1441 :twisted: :twisted:

2. jumbleannie1VDJQ

jumbleannie1VDJQ · Well-Known Member

Don't watch it so can't comment on the character, but I do have the odd drink, and lets face it we all eat. Do they show him getting stuck in to huge puddings? Or stirring sugar in his tea, cos I would find that a bit odd. We don't all live on salads, and I love a curry myself. :twisted: I like to think despite diabetes life can be fairly normal, don't you?

3. Otenba

Otenba · Well-Known Member

The track record as far as I know is most soap programs don't get their facts straight when it comes to diabetes, so I'd just laugh at the ignorance and let the stories continue.

They are certainly are not the first to show ignorance and they'll definitely won't be the last! The storylines are a lot more important to them after all. ^_^;

4. MrsMurray

MrsMurray · Member

I do watch this and although they no longer focus on it as a story, sandy wilfully ignores his diabetes saying that he's had a good innings and may as well die happy with drink in hand. His son can't make him see reason to be 'good' and often despairs.

5. MrsMurray

MrsMurray · Member

When it was a storyline it was handled pretty well with accuracy.

6. borofergie

borofergie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I detuned ITV from all the televisions in my house many years ago, so I can't comment about Emmerdale (is it a bit like the Archers? :D ), however, this guy sounds like a typical NHS advised diabetic to me.

There are lots of people that don't take care of themselves or their diabetes. No-one would tune in if he only talked about almond flour and flaxseed oil all the time...

7. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

i think they did well when it was a storyline too, basically sandy was unwell because of the diabetes and lifestyle but as already said ..he made the choice to live this way even if it killed him, ashley his son couldnt get him to change his mind :?

8. Beav

Beav · Well-Known Member

Another thing which annoys me is that some people think "all diabetics" are diabetic for the same reason.

9. borofergie

borofergie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Now that's an interesting point of view? What different reasons do you think that there are for getting diabetes?

10. Beav

Beav · Well-Known Member

Well some people think its all weight related and it isn't

11. Emzie-Bub-xo

Emzie-Bub-xo · Member

I agree it isnt all weight related, family history sometimes is the factor, but for someone like me with neither of these, it was put down to viruses id had as a child.

12. slimtony

slimtony · Well-Known Member

The soaps only wheel out a diabetic when they need someone to go dizzy and fall over. If it's been a while since anyone got dizzy and fell over on your favorite TV soap, then you can guarantee that pretty soon someone will suddenly mention the fact that they have 'sugar diabetes' (which is the best kind), but that they have it easily dealt with using a shot of insulin once a fortnight. They will then complain about feeling dizzy and fall over.

One of the more common examples goes something like...

13. paulg

paulg · Member

Sandy in Emmerdale is a bad advert for diabetes and i cannot remember any case of diabetes in a soap or drama being porttrayed as anything other than a bad lot or even a murderer because they take insulin Quimcy MD and real life use insulin murder as a plot or fact. I was diagnosed in 1960 and my diagnosis was put down to shock as I was diagnosed about 6mths after my mother remarried my awful step-father and i was uprooted from the security of my grand-parents who had brought me up up to then.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook