Worst advert for Diabetics

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Hi all, Anyone watch Emerdale farm, the old guy Sandy is supose to be Diabetic but spends most of his time in the pub and eating what he likes, ITV and Emerdale have done diabetics no good with this they make it look as the way to beat diabetes is just carry on as normal.

Graham1441 :twisted: :twisted:

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
Don't watch it so can't comment on the character, but I do have the odd drink, and lets face it we all eat. Do they show him getting stuck in to huge puddings? Or stirring sugar in his tea, cos I would find that a bit odd. We don't all live on salads, and I love a curry myself. :twisted: I like to think despite diabetes life can be fairly normal, don't you?

Otenba

Dislikes
peanuts, coffee, spiders, flies, bees, wasps, coffee, coffee sweets, being picked up, being ill, bad sugar levels
The track record as far as I know is most soap programs don't get their facts straight when it comes to diabetes, so I'd just laugh at the ignorance and let the stories continue.

They are certainly are not the first to show ignorance and they'll definitely won't be the last! The storylines are a lot more important to them after all. ^_^;

MrsMurray

I do watch this and although they no longer focus on it as a story, sandy wilfully ignores his diabetes saying that he's had a good innings and may as well die happy with drink in hand. His son can't make him see reason to be 'good' and often despairs.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I detuned ITV from all the televisions in my house many years ago, so I can't comment about Emmerdale (is it a bit like the Archers? :D ), however, this guy sounds like a typical NHS advised diabetic to me.

There are lots of people that don't take care of themselves or their diabetes. No-one would tune in if he only talked about almond flour and flaxseed oil all the time...

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i think they did well when it was a storyline too, basically sandy was unwell because of the diabetes and lifestyle but as already said ..he made the choice to live this way even if it killed him, ashley his son couldnt get him to change his mind :?

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Another thing which annoys me is that some people think "all diabetics" are diabetic for the same reason.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Beav said:
Another thing which annoys me is that some people think "all diabetics" are diabetic for the same reason.

Now that's an interesting point of view? What different reasons do you think that there are for getting diabetes?

Emzie-Bub-xo

I agree it isnt all weight related, family history sometimes is the factor, but for someone like me with neither of these, it was put down to viruses id had as a child.

slimtony

The soaps only wheel out a diabetic when they need someone to go dizzy and fall over. If it's been a while since anyone got dizzy and fell over on your favorite TV soap, then you can guarantee that pretty soon someone will suddenly mention the fact that they have 'sugar diabetes' (which is the best kind), but that they have it easily dealt with using a shot of insulin once a fortnight. They will then complain about feeling dizzy and fall over.

One of the more common examples goes something like...

Bonza Bob the Barman:
  • Don't you think you've had enough gin, Bruce? 'Specially as you're a sugar diabetic an' all, mate?
Bruce the Sugar Diabetic:
  • Ahh strewth, Bob, I got a handle on that one, mate. You just keep the gins comin' and leave the rest to me, mate.
[Bruce spins around wildly and falls over]

Bonza Bob the Barman:
  • Why did you just spin 'round wildly and fall over, Bruce?
  • I'm just doin' what sugar diabetics do when they have too much gin, mate. Plus, it's in the script, Bob. A close-up shot of me laying unconscious is gonna make for an AWESOME cliffhanger ending for today's show, mate.
Bonza Bob the Barman:
  • Ain't you supposed to be unconscious, Bruce?
  • Ssshhh, Bob! Some of us are trying to do some serious acting over here, mate!

paulg

Sandy in Emmerdale is a bad advert for diabetes and i cannot remember any case of diabetes in a soap or drama being porttrayed as anything other than a bad lot or even a murderer because they take insulin Quimcy MD and real life use insulin murder as a plot or fact. I was diagnosed in 1960 and my diagnosis was put down to shock as I was diagnosed about 6mths after my mother remarried my awful step-father and i was uprooted from the security of my grand-parents who had brought me up up to then.