Worth watching.

C

catherinecherub

Are the claims for supplements/ cures bogus?

Worth watching this video from a comedian who gets the point across.

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol. yes it's a shame that nutrition/supplements aren't usually advised upon by an expert in our surgeries, then we wouldn't need to put ourselves at risk looking for answers elsewhere. I know it's a question of cost, but surely helping us to good nutrition is the most cost effective way of keeping us healthy. Sometimes it's not possible to get everything you need from diet alone. Sometimes our bodies just don't work properly. I went to a naturopath for a while. She gave me emails to show my GP so he knew what blood tests she would like done. One showed up a deficiency in B12. The doctor hadn't thought of this and didn't offer me a supplement to put this right. He didn't even remark on the results of the tests, so I had to pay to get the advice and then to get the supplement. If I hadn't I would still be deficient in it....or would have bought some myself (along with others that I didn't need) in an effort to help myself. People turn to charlatans like those above because they are desperate. I have done it myself in the past. I knew there was something wrong with me and wanted to get well. No-one else listened.

I totally agree about the lack of regulation though. You just don't know what you are buying when you buy supplements online and this can be much more dangerous than taking the drugs which are prescribed for us. At least with drugs they are regulated and you have a list of side effects so you know what to look for.

At last I have found a doctor who will listen to me and is getting me the help I need.:) I have waited 54 years for this.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I went to a naturopath for a while. She gave me emails to show my GP so he knew what blood tests she would like done. One showed up a deficiency in B12. The doctor hadn't thought of this and didn't offer me a supplement to put this right. He didn't even remark on the results of the tests

Hi zand, every UK diabetic gets or should get at least one blood test a year usually it tests for HbA1c and several other tests as well which will include red blood cells, platelets etc and it is these which will indicate to a doctor whether or not you may be anaemic and or have a B12 deficiency, because of this there is no need to have any further tests done as if you are B12 deficient you will have a low red blood cell count, if that is the case it is your doctor who should investigate why.

I asked my doctor whether I may be deficient once, he took a quick look at my lat bloods and said "no, your red blood cell count is better than mine" so there was nothing to worry about.

Long term use of metformin can in certain cases lead to a B12 deficiency, I dont know the time frames involved but it would imagine long term to mean years rather than months and as I have explained it will show up on your/our annual/bi annual/4 monthly blood test.

From BMJ research "Long term treatment with metformin in patients with T2 diabetes and risk of vitaimin b-12 deficiency: Randonised placebo controlled trial.

"Conclusions Long term treatment with metformin increases the risk of vitamin B-12 deficiency, which results in raised homocysteine concentrations. Vitamin B-12 deficiency is preventable; therefore, our findings suggest that regular measurement of vitamin B-12 concentrations during long term metformin treatment should be strongly considered."
http://www.bmj.com/content/340/bmj.c2181

So basically every doctor should check your red blood cell count at every blood test and take steps to investigate should you be at all anaemic.

Personally I would tent to put my trust in my doctor rather than a "naturapath" whatever that might be.

More information on B12 deficiency here. http://www.patient.co.uk/health/vitamin-b12-deficiency-and-pernicious-anaemia

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sid Bonkers I wasn't diabetic at the time, so I didn't have those regular blood tests. I was constantly ill and had no help from my GP. A naturopath is a fully trained doctor who uses herbs and supplements instead of drugs. I have only been taking metformin since May. I would agree with you, I would rather put my trust in my doctor too, but sometimes when doctors don't/won't listen you have no choice but to look elsewhere for help or continue to suffer. I am happy to put my trust in a GP, but first he has to trust that what I am saying is true. Thankfully my new one does. Thanks for the info, pernicious anaemia was something that was suggested too. My iron level was at the high end of normal back then. I have recently had lots of blood tests, including a vit B12 one....I might get back to you if I don't understand the results, I hope that's OK.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Very funny but with a serious message behind it.

Not heard of this Dr Oz but by the looks of things he has been brought to task for his outrageous claims and false hopes that he gives people, just a pity more aren't made more accountable as the internet is awash with these diet guru's making similar claims.

Loved the end with Steve Buscemi dancing, he plays a brilliant part in HBO's Boardwalk Empire series.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
.I might get back to you if I don't understand the results, I hope that's OK.

Yeah no problem but PM me pointing to the thread as I am not checking every thread nowadays so might miss a random post aimed at me.

Heres what a blood count test might look like and gives the in range numbers, just google any terms abbreviations you are not familiar with but RBC I assume is red blood cells, WBC is white blood cells ect.

While looking for a test result i have noticed that I dont appear to get one at every test but perhaps once a year or possibly when my doctor felt it necessary, I dont have all my records to hand though so I cant be sure.

Hope this helps.

bloods.jpg

Reactions: 2 people