Would I know if set too close to muscle?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought I was getting the hang on this pump but last week and today things have taken a turn for the worse, possibly with my set.

I did a set change Monday morning as for the following 3 days seems to battle much higher sugars. My bolus did bring sugars down but the extra bolus needed became very sore. When I removed the set the cannula was straight and no blood but my sugars suddenly got better and stayed better. Coincidence - who knows?!?

Today I've done another set change and just before my sugars were 5.2. I used to wizard to raise then to my target of 7 as I intended to go to the gym. I also had a piece of victoria sponge cake for lunch but the carbs were on the box. Now my sugars are 21 :shock:

Have given a correction dose to see what happens as set feels fine but I am losing confidence in the infusion sets and feel a bit scared :cry:

Am I doing something wrong? I can certinly pinch an inch but could I be too near muscle?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the hour since I was 21 my bolus has started to work and dropped me down to 17.7 and ketones at 0.

Not sure if bolus working means set is ok too?

jopar

It sounds like your bolus is working, but remember the higher the bg the more stubon it can be coming down..

I actually do a dual correction (you need to remeber that I don't have any wizards on my spirit pump :( )

I work out the correction bolus needed to return my levels to normal range, I then bolus this and depending on what the BG is I set a TBR of between 120-140% for an hour... Then check after the hour to see if I may need to set another TBR..

But most will advise with BG levels above 16mmol/l that using an insulin pen to inject the correction dose is more effective at budging them.. But if you have IOB and correction wizards etc, that these will be wrong for a period of time afterwards, as they won't take into consideration the pen injected insulin..

If you are finding that your BG's are going off near the end of 72 hours, it may well be that you are going to be a pumper who have to change there sets earlier before times up...

You might find that when you've got your sets in certain area's that this will also be necessary to change earlier than you would do in another area..

Don't get dishearted as you build your experience up it gets better.. You never know, you may have been unlucky and had a air bubble sneaky past the tubing