Would i still be classed as a diabetic??

Emzie_86

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I've just rang my doctors surgery for my follow up hbA1c results. The receptionist said its 41. Looking on this website it says that's classed as normal? meaning I'm not diabetic anymore?
Thanks in advance

Ocho8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you mean 4.1 not 41. When I measure my blood levels it ranges from 1.8 to 24. (Extream from low to high).
Don't understand the other way of measuring blood gloucose levels.

Is there another scale?

But 4.1 is good but probably indicates you have good control rather than be cured?

But stranger things have happened! But this may happen it type 2's as I'M type1.

cheers.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Ocho8 the 41 is HbA1C result.

I think you will still be classed as diabetic @Emzie_86. My HbA1C is 40 but I am type 1 so know I will always be diabetic.

Reactions: 3 people

Emzie_86

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I've been told I can reverse mine. I'm type 2. Guess I'll just try and get a phone appointment and see

Reactions: 2 people

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Depends if your on medications for your diabetes, I was one 3 different medications and had 41. When that happened they cut the dosages.

I've just started LCHF and withdrawn from all my diabetic medications, my numbers have mostly come down to around the 5-7 except if I skip food and then I see a rise, my last hba1c was 52 but my number were high when I first came of the meds, so realistically the next hba1c should a lot better.

Emzie_86

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I'm not on any meds. Was just diet controlled. I don't test my blood sugars either.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, @Emzie_86
Well done on your HbA1c result. 41 is just below the threshold for pre-diabetes.
T2s can 'reverse' the high scores. At 41 you could still move into pre-diabetes and diabetes levels if you do not take care. Sorry, not meaning to 'rain on your parade', but being realistic. When I was new here a few years ago, I took quite a hammering when I suggested that I could have been 'non-diabetic' because I had lowered my HbA1c enough to be under the figure for pre-diabetes. Sparked quite a debate. With hindsight, and experience, plus knowledge gleaned from some of the more wise members here, I now regard myself as 'well controlled BG T2'. I maintain the good levels by a low carb diet, and trying to maintain weight. Also test my blood on several days a week to check that foods are not spiking the levels. I would suggest you get a meter and do the same. It doesn't have to be expensive. Many people here use the Codefree meter.
Best of luck.

Reactions: 9 people

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
I've been off insulin for 4 months now and my last hba1c was 36 but yeah still diabetic ;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Pipp

I've got my HbA1c down to below 42 now - but I only keep it there through eating very low carb. Some people can reverse their T2 (effectively put it into remission) with weight loss, others just control it with diet (like me).

But, either way, there is a risk that if the diet control goes, or the weight creeps up again, then that T2 will come back too.

Emzie_86

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thanks everyone, I've got it down since around August time which was when I was diagnosed type 2. I'm doing slimming world (started in around October), i eat a normal amount of carbs. I've cut down ALOT on sugary treats and changed from sugar to sweetener. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing as it's obviously working.
Thanks again everyone

Reactions: 4 people

November1115

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Am sure that I read in the forum that the test of one being cure of diabetes is when one can hv a plateful of carbs and not hv abnormal blood sugar results. ..?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Am sure that I read in the forum that the test of one being cure of diabetes is when one can hv a plateful of carbs and not hv abnormal blood sugar results. ..?
LOL, I'm not sure that anyone should try that, but it would be a better test than simply analyzing your a1c.

Emzie_86

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I don't no but I have no problem with carbs. I always eat carbs, I haven't cut down on carbs much, I eat less bread but that's about it.

Elliehowell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you were diagnosed as a type1 diabetic, then you will always be a diabetic. At the present time there is NO cure for type 1 diabetes. Low readings mean that you are in good control, high readings mean that something with your diabetes needs looking at, maybe more insulin or less carbs! Until there is a cure for type 1 diabetes you will always have to inject insulin. Hopefully one day, we can all say " I use to be a type 1 diabetic" but until that day, we all have to keep injecting and keep control. X

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'm type 2! The nurse did say I can reverse it.

You can get down to non diabetic levels (call it reverse as many would) but enough people have told you (and now me) that as soon as you lose control of those numbers, you will be back to full blown diabetes. People here seem to know more than your nurse does