Would Like A List Of All The Types Of Insulin Available

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Hello insulin users

I would like to see a list of all the types of insulin available, at least those available in the UK. Rather than spending several hours researching and compiling it, I wonder if there is already one available somewhere online.

I get confused by the different brand and generic names, and whether they are basal, bolus, mixed, or even other categories. Then I have the challenge of figuring out if they are NHS funded, if there are special criteria for access, and if not funded what they would (roughly) cost.

My final type of info is whether they are available/funded in NZ, and I imagine people in AU, Canada etc are interested in the same for their country. This is probably a separate project to gather the info, though. I know the UK NHS info is a good starting point, because most on this forum are in the UK.

At the moment, I am considering whether switching from basal Lantus to a bolus (and which one) would be a good idea for me, since I might be slightly allergic to Lantus, and it's the only funded basal insulin in NZ, from what I can tell.

I don't like FOMO (fear of missing out) and I am feeling it because I don't have a reliable list of all this info for now.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Thank you, that's most of what I need, in a handy, easy to use chart. Brilliant.

I may need to combine info from a few lists to make my own Mother Of All Lists. If I do, I'll provide a link to it here.

I don't think Tresiba will be available in NZ but I'd like to learn more about it anyway. I'm wondering if it's not on the chart because its so new.

I would also like to add the generic names to the brands, eg glargine for Lantus. In healthcare generally, Americans tend to use brands, while the rest of us tend to use the generic drug name as well.