1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Would Like A List Of All The Types Of Insulin Available

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by Jenny15, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Jenny15

Jenny15 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello insulin users

I would like to see a list of all the types of insulin available, at least those available in the UK. Rather than spending several hours researching and compiling it, I wonder if there is already one available somewhere online.

I get confused by the different brand and generic names, and whether they are basal, bolus, mixed, or even other categories. Then I have the challenge of figuring out if they are NHS funded, if there are special criteria for access, and if not funded what they would (roughly) cost.

My final type of info is whether they are available/funded in NZ, and I imagine people in AU, Canada etc are interested in the same for their country. This is probably a separate project to gather the info, though. I know the UK NHS info is a good starting point, because most on this forum are in the UK.

At the moment, I am considering whether switching from basal Lantus to a bolus (and which one) would be a good idea for me, since I might be slightly allergic to Lantus, and it's the only funded basal insulin in NZ, from what I can tell.

I don't like FOMO (fear of missing out) and I am feeling it because I don't have a reliable list of all this info for now.

2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

• Winner Winner x 1
    #2 Deleted Account, Jun 4, 2018 at 11:14 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2018
  3. Jenny15

Jenny15 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you, that's most of what I need, in a handy, easy to use chart. Brilliant.

I may need to combine info from a few lists to make my own Mother Of All Lists. If I do, I'll provide a link to it here.

I don't think Tresiba will be available in NZ but I'd like to learn more about it anyway. I'm wondering if it's not on the chart because its so new.

I would also like to add the generic names to the brands, eg glargine for Lantus. In healthcare generally, Americans tend to use brands, while the rest of us tend to use the generic drug name as well.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook