1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Would like to try the omnipod

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by steveo4, Mar 27, 2016.

1. steveo4

steveo4 · Well-Known Member

I was using the Accu Chek insight pump but just hated the tubing being attached to me all the time. I wanted to try the omnipod but was told it is not available at my hospital so the only option was to go back to injections which I am now doing. I was just wondering if there is any way I could try the omnipod and who I need to contact to make this happen.

2. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

@steveo4 If it's not one of the pumps 'approved' by your hospital then you may have a hard job getting funding for one. You could try speaking to your consultant and explaining why you want one. Someone here worked out the cost of the Omnipod over a year compared to other pumps, but I can't remember who. Try a search.

Did your hospital offer you any alternative pump to the Insight to try?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sarahkylie88

Sarahkylie88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I personally love the omnipod. As azure says speak to your consultant and find out what the chances are, explain your situation. I went on the omnipod for the same reason u like it. I love the freedom of not being attached to anything. I hope u manage to get one X X X

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Steve, as your CCG have coughed up over 3 grand for your pump they will not be funding you another one for another 4 years which is the warranty on your pump.

Personally I can not see the what the tubing issue is as it comes in different lengths and I do not even notice the tubing.

5. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @steveo4 - I'm on the Insight, and although the hosepipe doesn't bother me, and I really like the unclippability of a tubed pump for swimming and showering, both of which I do a lot, I had been finding that I was quite 'aware' of the tubing specifically when I had the cannula in my tummy.

Thanks to a guy in my pump gang (one of the others who started on it at the same time as me) I started putting the cannula round the back of my spare tyre - it's much less obtrusive. I use the 70cm hosepipes and any excess I just wind around the pump so it doesn't hang about getting in the way.

Might it be worth trying different sites for your cannula?

I do though really get that the tubing is an issue for some when it comes to pumps - I had been ever so worried myself, for instance - so I fully appreciate that the Omnipod feels like something you'd like to try because it's tubeless.

Hope it all works out.

:)

6. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

7. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've just looked at some of your other posts Steve and see you were on a pump for 5 years previously! So really can't see what your problem is. You posted the comment below about 17 weeks ago.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook