Would love some insight, please...

Sarah H

I've come to these forums because I'm sincerely confused and would really appreciate some insight from everyone on here. I don't mean to offend anyone with my questions, and I hope I don't... I've hesitated a lot about posting and seeking a response, but I feel like I need to at this point- and this might be the only place I can get some insights. I'm in love with a man who has Type 1, but though I'm taking every possible step to get close to him and make him understand, I feel like I'm coming up against a wall; he is very emotionally distant. I know he's had feelings for me for the longest time, but he's frustrating me with his refusal to be close to anyone. I'm not at all implying that him having Type 1 is the cause of this, but I recently spoke with a girl I know who also has Type 1 and she said that it can make relationships difficult, and she feels it's influencing his behavior. The thing is this: I know he has diabetes- but he doesn't know that I know. And I don't know how to bring this up.

I'm not sure what I'm getting at by posting this question- maybe just trying to reach out and understand. I want more than anything to understand. Has having Type 1 affected anybody in this area of life? Has it made you scared of being involved? Hesitant to disclose? What does it feel like to be in his position right now? Do I need to be patient with him- because I can be- endlessly. But I just feel so lost trying to understand how this might be affecting him.

I know my thoughts are all over the place at the moment- I'm hoping that someone out there will be able to make sense of this and bring me the insight I desperately need :)

Thank you so much.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello Sarah,

Without causing any offence..........are you sure he feels the same way about you?

People handle diabetes differently and it can make some people reserved and less inclined to discuss their diabetes, as for type 1getting in the way of relationships.....well I've had it since 18 years old and had 3 relationships before meeting my wife and never seen it as an obstacle, that said we are all different and it could be he is emotionally struggling to cope with his diabetes....who knows! :?

Good luck :)

Nigel

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I personally tell any one who will listen I'm diabetic and don't care but we're all different. If I were you I would tell him you know and he may then open up about it. Just don't ever tell him what to do, diabetes wise, I personally hate that .

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been with my boyfriend 7 years. He knew I was diabetic because he was my Boss :shifty: .. but I've never asked him if me being diabetic was of any concern to him. I may have to ask..

He may be itching to tell you but doesn;t know how to say it or how you'll react which is why I'd just come out with it and say, I know about the diabetes.

Elc1112

Sarah,

As people have pointed out already, everybody handles their emotions differently. People also handle their diabetes differently. Most people I know know that I an diabetic. I haven't always told these people straightaway - the people who need to know do know.

Maybe he doesn't like talking about it mug. I used to be the same as far too many people don't understand diabetes, particularly type 1 (in my opinion, anyway). Could be another reason why he is keeping thugs from you, though.

I don't think you are going to get the answer you're looking for on this forum. Bite the bullet and talk to him. Find out where you stand.

nadin

I say as most have said it directly. but had also met someone through someone with diabetic. and he had it too difficult. I think it's much harder for men than women. certain sex.

go eat something just to as friends and ask hem. my personal opinion do not give up. unless he does not fall for you.