Would you eat your way to weight loss surgery?

louiseb

I cant beleive this man I know he must be desperate but with every pound he gains he is putting even more strain in his health.
I know its hard to loose weight but at which point did people start to believe the nhs should pick up the bill for greed and laziness.
its not even guaranteed he will get the op when reaches the required the BMI and then he will have even more weight to try to loose naturally.
I know that insulin can contribute to weight gain buts exactly why he needs to look at his diet to try to control his diabetes.
im sorry if I sound harsh but this man is incredibly stupid he already grossly overweight and needs to focus his energy on lossing weight through a healthy diet combined with excercise.
BTW im overweight about 20 pounds and I know I need to loose this myself the only person who can control my diet is me and I cant and wouldnt expect a quick fix from the NHS

TheSparkyPony

I was walking through the living room and stopped in my tracks when I heard this on the tv :evil:

What this man is doing is what is wrong with our country. People looking for fast tracks and being lazy. Instead of working hard to lose the weight, he is instead gluttoning himself so he can be sliced, diced and lose the weight with no needed motivation or willpower.

As for the article, why would it be false economy to deny him surgery? He got to this weight for a reason, and I can pretty much guarantee it wasn't the insulin. And as for preventing complications?? Surely eating what he states he is atm will result in worse control?

He's just a horrible stereotype for diabetes, in my honest opinion.

People like this get on my nerves (if you couldn't tell!). Last time I was in hospital there was a T2 who had just been put on insulin. She was told if she improved her diet she could come off it. Once I could get out of bed, my mother wheeled me outside for some fresh air. There she was, eating a cream cake her husband had bought her. This, and all the food stuffed in her bedside cabinet was enough to make anyone sick. As a T1, I'll never get off insulin, but there she was throwing her life away.

Sorry for the rant guys, not a sensitive topic for me at all :lol:

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I was on the phone to my old mum the other day and told her i having prob with the diet
and she replied

"
Its simple son you cake hole is bigger then your bum-hole
:shock:

And thats all there is to it :lol:

louiseb

bowell said:
I was on the phone to my old mum the other day and told her i having prob with the diet
and she replied

"
Its simple son you cake hole is bigger then your bum-hole
:shock:

And thats all there is to it :lol:

thanks for the laugh :lol: :lol:

louiseb

TheSparkyPony said:
I was walking through the living room and stopped in my tracks when I heard this on the tv :evil:

What this man is doing is what is wrong with our country. People looking for fast tracks and being lazy. Instead of working hard to lose the weight, he is instead gluttoning himself so he can be sliced, diced and lose the weight with no needed motivation or willpower.

As for the article, why would it be false economy to deny him surgery? He got to this weight for a reason, and I can pretty much guarantee it wasn't the insulin. And as for preventing complications?? Surely eating what he states he is atm will result in worse control?

He's just a horrible stereotype for diabetes, in my honest opinion.

People like this get on my nerves (if you couldn't tell!). Last time I was in hospital there was a T2 who had just been put on insulin. She was told if she improved her diet she could come off it. Once I could get out of bed, my mother wheeled me outside for some fresh air. There she was, eating a cream cake her husband had bought her. This, and all the food stuffed in her bedside cabinet was enough to make anyone sick. As a T1, I'll never get off insulin, but there she was throwing her life away.

Sorry for the rant guys, not a sensitive topic for me at all :lol:

I totally agree that he is a terrible sterotype for diabetes I know im 20 pound overweight but i have always had a healthy a diet and excercise regularly.
the main reason for my excess weight is due taking alot of steroids for other medical conditions.
however nearly every member of my family are diabetic and I think its genetic.
but slobs like this just give the media more amunition to blame type 2 as being fat and lazy and drains on the NHS that have caused there own diabetes

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The NHS needs to lower their criteria for weight loss surgery. There was an interesting article I read recently, about a massively overweight guy who had severe damage to his health from his weight eg he couldn't walk, and wasn't in work due to his weight. He was being offered weight loss surgery, but even after it was not expected to fully recover eg he would still not be able to work and would still need a carer. There was this other guy, who was overweight and had been trying everything to loose weight, but couldn't, and was gaining weight and it would soon start to effect his health. He was not offered weight loss surgery because he didn't weigh enough.

The article was asking why guy 1 was being offered the surgery, as it would not improve his life much - he would still not be abled bodied (knee damage or something like that from his great weight, and organ damage) so would still need a carer, and would still not be able to work, instead of guy 2. If guy 2 was given the surgery his life would be massively improved, his mental health would be better as he would no longer be so worried, he would be able to keep his job, and he would be at less risk of various health problems.

There is something seriously wrong if people have to harm themselves to get the help they need eg the guy in the Sky article.

louiseb

in my opinion if somebody says they cannot loose weight the natural way but want a gastric band then they are lying about not being able loose weight by themself, because all a gastric band will do is reduce the amount they can physically consume therefore if they believe the gastric band will work then they must know that they are eating too much and have no self control.
WHY should the NHS pay to stop somebody being greedy?
why dont they eat less and use the money they would have spent on the the extra food for gymn membership or save up and pay for the gastric surgery themselves

louiseb

I dont believe ANYBODY should get bariatric surgery through the NHS this is whats wrong with this country everybody looking a quick fix and taking no responsibilty for their actions and expecting to be hand held and somebody else will fix everything for them.
its not rocket science eat less excercise more and the weight will come off even it is painfully slow.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Did anyone mention that the fatter you are the more likely you are to die under the anaesthetic? I'm very overweight - been dieting for the last 45 years and only managed to double my weight :roll: - but I wouldn't have bariatric surgery for a million pounds!

Can I say that honestly? yes - I think I can :D Mainly because no-one's going to offer me either . . .

Viv

Mind you, I wouldn't say no to a fiver for every pound I've lost in that 45 years . . .

Dippy3103

I must admit this made me pretty cross. Because he is to some extent trying to cheat the system. Almost saying to his local PCT that if he doesn't get his own way he will make himself worse! According to the sky report he is eating crisps, bread and pies to gain the weight. So carbs', carbs' and more carbs', that will should shove his HB1AC a bit! What right does he have to hold the tax payer to ransom?
I know only too well that a poor relationship with food can be very difficult. An alcoholic can never drink again, a smoker never smoke again. But food, we all have to eat.
However, he has acknowledged that losing weight will help control his diabetes, so he has taken the first step. However he is an adult so he should be able to control what he puts in his gob.
I do have some sympathy for his predicament, but just think the way he is going about it is terrible.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Another thing - where is he getting all these cakes, pies and bread? If he can't walk? Maybe he can, but there was another guy on TV recently who was bed-bound, so someone had to be shopping for him. Whoever was buying this food in for him should be prosecuted for abuse.

Viv

Dippy3103

I think the Sky report said he was a traffic warden (possibly not the best profession for someone who is trying to gain public sympathy to admit to!) so he must put some
miles in every day.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
That rages me beyond belief that hes willing to mock the system and all the other people who are waiting for one and cant get them for legitimate reasons not just im fat and want to be skinny GRR :evil:

Squadron Leader

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Religion
Donald Trump
Would I eat my way to bariatric surgery? No, not in a million years! And I was once bigger than the gentleman in question (my BMI was 48, now just under 36). But then again, I wouldn't even recommend Olistat as a way to reduce weight - I was offered it, but refused.

I think one thing he is trying to highlight is the way different PCT's have different criteria before considering someone for bariatric surgery. His PCT demands that anyone with diabetes has a BMI in excess of 45, whereas my local PCT adheres to the NICE guidelines (BMI of 35 - 40 for someone with Type 2). He first applied for surgery in Feb 2009, when his BMI was 40. His Consultant supports his request for surgery as "Darin has done everything he can do and the problem is if he doesn't have the surgery soon he will lose his job and add further complications to his diabetes. For someone like Darin it is delaying the inevitable. He would put the weight on slowly over time anyway." (Source: Daily Mail)

Personally, I think Darin should take a look at this forum and see if there are other ways he might try to control his diabetes BEFORE trying something as invasive as surgery...

Klair

TheSparkyPony

I wonder, now he's publicly admitted how he's deliberately manipulating his weight, if he will still get the surgery?
I know if I was a surgeon and saw him on the news then on my operating table I'd wheel him back out again :lol:

Gadge

I was bigger then this bloke and didnt get help from anybody, in my case it was the question of lowering what I ate and drank and getting my backside of the sofa.

Sure enough it didnt save me from getting diabetese a few years later but its odd to think that i'm more healthy at 23 then I was at 16.

viv1969

I believe this chap requires some psychiatric assistance. He obviously has some serious issues when it comes to food. He's in for a hell of a shock if he thinks bariatric surgery will be his saviour.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What Mr McCloud is doing may seem wrong, but I do wonder if this is a desperate man in desperate circumstances and he see's this route as the only alternative. Although I strongly agree that this isn't the best course of action in normal circumstances, we must not judge people by what we read in the press and hear on television or radio, not one of us know he's previous medical history and for all we know he may have mental health issues, difficulty with his mobility or has a eating disorder, therefore it's best to remain on the fence on this one and let the health care authorities decide what route is best.

Nigel