Would you wear this Google eye lens for Diabetes

LauraSmith29

According to Google cofounders Brian Otis and Babak Parviz, miniaturized electronics might be the way to solve this problem. This very small chips and sensor might solve the enigma of tear glucose and measure glucose precisely.

Random blood glucose testing is generally measured by obtaining a sample of capillary blood and the ideal method is of determining blood sugar is by venipuncture after an overnight fast.

To the whole story: http://pushpullgrindnow.blogspot.com/2014/01/google-contact-lens-help-patients-with.html

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the idea of a continuous monitor which is what I hope this is. I am a spectacle wearer and had a lot of difficulty when I tried to drive contact lenses once before. I just couldn't put them in my eyes. This gadget could convince me to try again.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
In view of the many problems with eyes that those with diabetes can suffer, is it really, wise to put anything at all in the eye ?
Just a thought.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i have worn contacts for 25 years, since they were as thick as my glasses and i couldn't live without them, so yes for me this would be ideal

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i hope your question isn't to me because i didn't know you had eye glucose at all let alone the fact its behind blood glucose lol

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i hope your question isn't to me because i didn't know you had eye glucose at all let alone the fact its behind blood glucose lol
well the stuff in your eye has a glucose level - so i saw on csi!!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think at this stage the lens can only alert the users to a glucose level below a certain level, so it could be calibrated.

But in terms of actually monitoring glucose levels for management its not there, yet anyway.....:)

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
No chance lol the thought of something touching my eyeball just freaks me out too much
It's the thought of something from Google touching my eyeball that would freak me out. I'd worry about getting targeted diabetes product ads every time I blinked!

Kate

Scardoc

I only wear my contacts when running and this technology excites me. My ideal running aid would be these lenses transmitting by BG levels to a device, ie a watch, so I could see exactly what my levels were doing.

GOOGLE - GUINEA PIG RIGHT HERE!!

ck18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had contact the lenses for 38 years and putting them in has become second nature. If it makes monitoring easier then I'd be up for it.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Not for me...my eyes are too dry for contacts :(