Wouldn't you just know it?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My daughter is in hospital again with gallstones and pancreatitis, as I said yesterday. This morning I got a text from her complaining that they'd done BG and finding hers at 3.5, they wanted her to drink a load of glucose. and asking if she really needed it. Since she hadn't eaten for 3 days, I told her that it's pretty normal for a non-diabetic who hasn't eaten for a couple of days and she didn't need the glucose unless there was a clinical reason. and to tell them her Mum is a World renowned Expert on the subject of blood glucose( stretching the point a bit :lol: )
She didn't drink the glucose and was up to over 4 again in a couple of hours.
What do the medics actually know?

sandymaynard

Hi Hanadr
I ams orry that you daughter feels so unwell! It is great that she has you there for her! Otherwise these so powerful and wise medics would of poured glucose down her throat!
Her glucose in her system could be down to the fact she is not well and that she has not eaten and in pain! Honestly medics make you wonder at times! I hope your daughter starts to feel better soon!
Don't forget to take care of yourself! And make sure that you are okay as well!
Sandy

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
Sorry to hear about your daughter, Hana. My wife came down with gallstones just after our second son was born and she was in absolute agony until she had an operation for removal of the gall bladder. We understand what your daughter must be suffering, so we both wish her her the very best and hope that she gets well soon.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Hi Bill
apparently after chidbirth is a common time for gallstones to strike. Daughter had her baby just over a year ago and they've been popping up at intervals since. They should have done the surgery by now, but daughter had had enough of operations. she had one on her knee in the October and the baby by caesarean in the following April. Now it's going to be within the next six weeks we hope.
glad your wife and son are fine

Sweet3x

is she diabetic? It seems from what you posted, that she isn't and if so, why the big deal? I'm sure the medics know what they are doing, and wouldn't have asked her to drink the stuff, if they weren't sure it would benefit her in some way.

I do get a bit fed up with everyone assuming that they know better and that medical staff are all useless and don't know anything at all.
If they are all so dumb, why bother going to the doctor/hospital at all? Why not treat everything at home.

I'm not sure I've heard one good word said about a member of the medical profession on this whole site. Admittedly I don't read every post, but I get fed up of all the negativity towards the medical pro's. I understand that sometimes, they get it wrong. But the majority of the time, they are bang on.

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
When I was in hospital with pancreatitis my BG fell to 3.4mmol a couple of times and I was not feeling very good at all. The nurses very quickly gave me two of cups of tea with sugar and 4 chocolate biscuits, I enjoyed eating the biscuits and drinking the tea and was back on my feet in no time. :D

EricD

Dislikes
hanadr said:
My daughter is in hospital again with gallstones and pancreatitis, as I said yesterday. This morning I got a text from her complaining that they'd done BG and finding hers at 3.5, they wanted her to drink a load of glucose. and asking if she really needed it. Since she hadn't eaten for 3 days, I told her that it's pretty normal for a non-diabetic who hasn't eaten for a couple of days and she didn't need the glucose unless there was a clinical reason. and to tell them her Mum is a World renowned Expert on the subject of blood glucose( stretching the point a bit :lol: )
She didn't drink the glucose and was up to over 4 again in a couple of hours.
What do the medics actually know?

Hana, why go running to medics if they don't know anything?

Would it not be better to treat her at home and stay away from medics?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
It was the way they were pushing at daughter to take the glucose and making a fuss as if she were going into a fatal hypo any minute, which she wasn't.She isn't diabetic and certainly not using insulin, so was perfectly safe. and yes, sometimes we do know more than the medics. It's in our interests. As to treating my daughter at home, there's no way I can access the kind of pain killers she needed. Neither can I do gall bladder surgery at home.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
They eventually gave her some breakfast. Toast I think and she felt better. She didn't feel ill anyway other than the severe pain of the pancreatitis. They only noticed the low!(3.7) BG, because they were monitoring while the pancreas was so inflamed.
She's home now, still sore and signed off work for 2 weeks, but she says she's going back next Monday. Now she's waiting for a date for the operation.
I worried they'd try to ive her a lot of glucose, not because it would send BG up too high. It won't in a non-diabetic, but the pancreas needs to rest during a bout of pancreatitis and glucose would stimulate it.
I'd prefer she didn't end up diabetic as a result of her treatment. She wouldn't be the first.

EricD

Dislikes
hanadr said:
It was the way they were pushing at daughter to take the glucose and making a fuss as if she were going into a fatal hypo any minute, which she wasn't.She isn't diabetic and certainly not using insulin, so was perfectly safe. and yes, sometimes we do know more than the medics. It's in our interests. As to treating my daughter at home, there's no way I can access the kind of pain killers she needed. Neither can I do gall bladder surgery at home.

Hana, I have been suffering from pancreatitis since 2004 and I know that when the BG goes as low as it did with your daughter it is not a great idea to give her some fatty food, especially when she had not eaten for 3 days. Your daugther not being a diabetic, giving her the glucose to drink was probably the best thing they could do to stop her BG going even further down without taking the chance of causing her great pain by giving her some food.

What would have happened if they didn't offer her the drink, her BG went down so far that she fell in to a coma, who would you have blamed then? Your daugther, the Docs or yourself?

Even now after 5 years I still get terrible pains if I eat a little too much fat. I hope to God that your daughter will not have the same problems in the future and recovers completely. Give the medics some credit, after all if it wasn't for them and science we would not live as long today as we do.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I can't see why the Bg should keep falling. there was no reason for it to do so. the pancreatitis my daughter gets is tiggered by gallstones and should go away for ever once her gall bladder is removed. It's not intrinsic to the pancreas.
Chronic pancreatitis, such as you describe in your own case, is different from the acute kind.

EricD

Dislikes
hanadr said:
I can't see why the Bg should keep falling. there was no reason for it to do so.

Hana, she hadn't eaten for three whole days, probablythe reason why her BG fell to 3.8 in the first place so who'se to say that it would not have fallen further?

the pancreatitis my daughter gets is tiggered by gallstones and should go away for ever once her gall bladder is removed. It's not intrinsic to the pancreas.
Chronic pancreatitis, such as you describe in your own case, is different from the acute kind.

I am keeping all my fingers crossed that she will recover fully and will not have any further problems. Some people are lucky that they only suffer once in their life time others are not so lucky and it keeps coming back.

Hana, did you know that pancreatic stones sometimes start as gallbladder stones and travel to the pancreas?

Trinkwasser

Sympathies. :(

I had gallstones which like a lot of other things went undiagnosed for five years although non-medically-qualified colleagues had no difficulty diagnosing them. The excruciating pains and turning yellow might have been a bit of a clue. I hope she can get them out ASAP.

IMO she would probably have been better off with some real food, some internal medicine docs are so paranoid about hypos they will keep their patients over 8 as a matter of course, even to the extent of confiscating their BG meters and insulin.

NOT all of them are like that, obviously, some of them understand the negative effects of high BG on healing and infection.