1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Wounded Puppy and Libre

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Kim Possible, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

I have been a Libre user for a few months now. Whilst I don't have a problem with knocking it off on door jams or even the glue unsticking from my arm, my sensor has come away from the plaster a few times. I think this is due to my upper arms - it is difficult to find a sensor-sized area which remains flat during exercise.
    I know quite a few people use tegaderm but I am not a fan of single use plastics and some people have mentioned they need to use more than one during the lifetime of a sensor. And I don't want to add another type of glue on my skin that I may become sensitive to.
    I remembered the Libre rep suggesting VetWrap so I have been experimenting with that after buying a roll from eBay.
    VetWrap is stretchy roll which sticks to itself so it can be used multiple times. As the name suggests, it is designed for use on animals (hence the "wounded puppy" reference in the topic).
    It comes in different colours and thicknesses. I have found the 5cm a good thickness and it goes under clothes well.
    My first roll is black which is fine under dark clothes but not ideal under lighter coloured clothes and with short sleeves looks as if I am in mourning so I have just ordered a roll of white.
    It seems to stick well during exercise (I have tried it when climbing and weights). The only difficulty is putting it on when alone as I am not double-jointed.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #1 Kim Possible, Sep 6, 2019 at 10:04 AM
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  2. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Wounded puppy. Now that got my attention.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Love the thread topic :)
    I have bought some vetwrap for holidays, will be swimming a fair bit and don't want the MM falling off! I did go for bright orange, I will know if I have wrapped it or not before jumping in the sea :hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Muneeb

Muneeb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use KT tape which works a treat, lasts 2 weeks and I exercise 6 days a week. Although that may be reusable I don't think I'd want to reuse it after having it on for 2 weeks with sweat etc. Chances of getting a rash will be much higher.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Kim Possible

@Muneeb - although I haven't tried it, yet, VetWrap is supposed to be washable.
    Let's see about that.

I also like that it has no adhesive.
    And is cheap!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Muneeb

Muneeb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Fair enough, let me know how it goes. Always good to know about alternatives.

7. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So how do people think this would work for an hours heavy swimming?

10. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi,

Sounds like the stuff we used to use when covering a wound on our horse's leg years ago...? (Decades back.)
    The stuff seemed to stand up to all weathers when applied correctly...

Pretty certain it was aquired from a certain saddlers in Bath?

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Kim Possible

When the Libre rep suggested VetWrap he said it was used by a guy who is training for the UK swimming team so, I guess it should be good for "heavy swimming" but I have not tried it myself.

@porl69 may be able to add more after a week in his hotel pool

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I will indeed report back 2nd week October :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

14. enzina

enzina LADA · Well-Known Member

Shamefully i have to admit i have never heard about VetWrap although i have two very old doggies. They had some injuries within the last few years and i always created my own bandages after the ones applied by the vet came off. I was not very successful, specially my 13 year old staffie always behaves like a raging bull if she only has a tiny injury..
    Thanks for the tip @helensaramay ! I will try instead of Tegaderm as well.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I thought we were going to hear about how @helensaramay had a diabetic puppy that was injured and she's modified a libre to test the puppy's blood sugars while it recovers.... I had a mental image of a fascinating back story.:):):)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Kim Possible

@EllieM the backstory is a dachshund-Westie cross puppy who I am looking after for my parents who are currently on a cruise around the Baltic. The puppy, called Dastie, has not been diagnosed diabetes but keeps getting shakey around dinner time so we decided to test his BG. We tried pricking his paw but he didn’t like that (and I didn’t like licking it afterwards) so we decided to attach a Libre.
    Meanwhile, Dastie is training for the doggie swimming world championships so we wanted to find a way to keep the Libre in place during his training sessions.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Yes I had similar expectations, but was (fortunately!) not disappointed...as a touching back story has now appeared!

However, these sensor guardians for short term use are available on Ebay and may be an alternative to adhesives?
    [​IMG]

Robbity

ETA Won't Dastie lick his own paw after the pricks? My dogs are little vampires and would be only too happy to provide a bit of licky spit for mopping up such delicacies! One of them has even kindly set to and cleaned up most of my fabric Contour Next case which was liberally spotted with little blobs of blood from me lazily handing it with blood-y fingers...:p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    #17 Robbity, Sep 7, 2019 at 12:41 AM
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  18. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry, off topic, but Wounded Puppy sounds a bit like an emo/goth band that John Peel would have given airtime to.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ChrissiStar

ChrissiStar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

VetWrap is amazing stuff! I’ve not had issues with my Libre coming loose (yet! I am not tempting fate!) but I did consider VetWrap as like you I don’t fancy anymore adhesive going on my skin - it’s a nail tech thing I swear, I am terrified of overexposure and developing allergies, so it’s good to know it works.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. MsBea

MsBea Parent · Active Member

Hello Helen & everyone else who uses the VetWrap with the Freestyle Libre! We applied a new Libre sensor on today and applied VetWrap on top of it. I had a question please. Do you shower with the VetWrap on? Or do you take it off before your shower and then put it back on after you have dried yourself off? Looking ahead for tomorrow morning... Thanks so much!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook