WOW you have lost weight....!

bkkMick

Dislikes
Chemotherapy. Just finished it.
Hi

A few years ago I weighed in at about 115kgs. Last July since my weight had dropped so much (down to 95kgs) without trying I went to the doctor and 'hey presto!' I have diabetes. OK, I didn't panic, found this site, read a lot, followed the leaders with regards to diet (going low carb) and my first HS1 test was 6.5 (down from 13 on diagnosis).

That's all very well, I'm happy enough living within the confines of the diet I have to follow, no problem.

On Tuesday night I went to a party at a pub here in Bangkok and met up with people that I haven't seen for years. EVERY ONE of them commented on how much weight I have lost since we last met. It's weird, but, worried that they probably thought I had something (more) life threatening, I found myself telling them all - "It's ok, it's only diabetes". Then feeling strange (kind of guilty, I suppose) that I was telling everyone that I'm diabetic.

Don't really know why I'm typing all this here, sorry about that, just thought that I had to get it out of myself.

Mick

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
With proper control, Diabetes is "only" Diabetes. It's when your BG is wildly out of control and you are not looking after yourself that it becomes "Oh my god, I've got diabetes!". Glad to hear you've discovered lo-carbing.

saz1

Well done on your weight loss! I must say that I say I only have diabetes because it isn't really affecting me strongly at all, and I'm determined to keep it in check so it won't in the future either... After all it is ONLY diabetes if we are taking tight control! :mrgreen:

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Congratulations on losing the weight as it will only help. That was the way I found out too. Now I'm losing steadily, not as fast as I'd like though. People I work with have also commented that I look slimmer and healthier for it. :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I am not running down weight loss. I would love to get more off myself, but isn't it ironic that when someone is overweight, they are villified and warned of all the dangers and told how much stress they are putting on the health services. Underweight people are criitisized for being too thin. Magazines operate soley to critisize "celebrities"( that I've never heard of :lol: ) for being too skinny. I don't read these, I see them on the rack when buying my boring copy of "Essentials". Then when someone loses a lot of weight, firstly, htey are praised and admired and then asked if they might be ill.