wrist / hand cramps

wynneh

Hi , I'm new to this forum but have been a type 2 for over 20 years. My BG's are good usually no more than 12. However my weight has steadily been going up even though I am not even a big eater or eat high calorie foods. My doctor has tried Xenical but I didn't loose any weight. I am currently tried Reductil and this seems to be helping me lose weight however I've started having wrist cramps causing my left hand to either lock my Thumb or index finger into my palm along with excuriating pain. Do you think this is neuropathy or carpal tunnel symdrome ??

Any help please

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Wynneh and welcome to the forum.

The wrist problems are not something that I have any experience of so I can't help you there. But can I ask you why you think that BGs of 12 are good? A reading of 12 is terrible - around double what it should be and pretty much a guarantee of complications.

Perhaps if you can give us an idea of what you eat in a typical day, we can give you some pointers on where you can make improvements that will lose weight and reduce that high BG level.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I agree that readings of 12 indicate poor control, & the likelihood of complications. What are your HbA1c results?

I had trouble with average readings around 7.

TheTartanPimpernel

I had a similar problem with some fingers folding into he palm and locking. It turned out to be a temporary thickening of ligaments which, when the fingers were closed to my palm, got stuck outside the sheath that they pass through. With care you could feel the small 'knots' that were causing problems. It lasted for about a month and went away as suddenly as it appeared.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I too am prone to cramp. Sometimes extremely painful. My hands twist and I get it in all sorts of places. I've recently had my quadriceps go and that's a huge muscle.
As all my "old" :D friends know, I'm very well controlled( never over 6) and eat mainly protein and veggies.
I too would be grateful for any ideas.
I'm only using Metformin, bendroflumethiazide,doxazosin,candesartan and aspirin now. I've managed to reduce medication.

Trinkwasser

Cramps can be a bit difficult to solve, they're often caused by an electrolyte imbalance but it can be hard to work out which electrolyte (sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium) is the culprit.

eg. some athletes take salt tabs, probably due to sodium depletion from excess sweating. But sometimes excess sodium is the cause. Magnesium often helps. Quinine can be a treatment of last resort.

The OP's problem sounds more like carpal tunnel or similar, connective tissue problems are not uncommon with diabetes and often improve with tight BG control. I used to get annoying but not extreme tendon and similar problems which seem to have mostly gone away.

tiggerrs

Hiya mrs

I have just attended the otho's today with exactly the same problem. ortho surgeon had advised that this is a rare condition associated with having diabetes for a long time, I have been type 1 for 28 years. she said she has only ever seen one other case in 20 years and can't remember the name but advised its not trigger finger, carpel tunnel or deupitrons contracture which can mimick the problem and dr's can fail to spot

she is awaiting results from my nerve conductivity tests which she should have within 2 weeks and thinks the answer will be splitns at night to stop the finger locking

Pm me next month towards the end and I can let u know if I have found out anything. I am also awaiting my diabetic nurse calling me on monday with info, so hopefully can give u some suggestions although it may not be the same

cheers

Lisa

Lisa,I have removed your mobile number for your own security!!The Internet is a big place with many and varied strange people on it!!

Sugarless Sue senior Moderator.

tiggerrs

Hiya guys

finally got my diagnosis, I have auto immune cheiro arthropy or diabetic stiff hand syndrome. Await further hospital visits for help. I have been told that this is an extremely rare condition and that there is very little known about this. when I called my diabetic liaison nurse, I also asked as now having 3 auto immune diseases, what are the chances that I may get Addison to which I got the reply - was told too much knowledge is dangerous. Is this because she nothing of one of the illness and didnt want to look thick???? I would have preferred if she said she would have to go and investigate as she has never come across this. One nurse I will not be talking to again. I suffer these conditions on a daily basis for the last 10 years and feel that Consultants and GP's do not link symptoms with being diabetic, which I wish they would dig a little more.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi tiggers.

Here is some information about the condition. You may already know but it was a new one to me and may be of interest to other members ?

Hands are the targets for several diabetes-related complications. Diabetic cheiroarthropathy, also known as diabetic stiff hand syndrome or limited joint mobility, is found in 8-50% of all people with type 1 diabetes and is also seen in those with type 2 diabetes. The prevalence increases with duration of diabetes and this condition is associated with and predictive of other diabetic complications.

This syndrome is characterized by thick, tight, waxy skin reminiscent of scleroderma. Limited joint range of mobility (inability to fully flex or extend the fingers) and sclerosis of tendon sheaths are also present. The underlying cause is thought to be multifactorial. Increased glycosylation of collagen in the skin and periarticular tissue, decreased collagen degradation, diabetic microangiopathy, and possibly diabetic neuropathy are thought to be some of the contributing factors. Flexion contractures of the fingers may develop at advanced stages. One indication of the presence of this condition is known as the "prayer sign". this is patients' inability to press their palms together completely without a gap remaining between opposed palms and fingers. The specific treatment of diabetic cheiroarthropathy (other than optimizing glycemic control) is unknown.

Can you let us know what treatment, if any, you eventually get please ? Seems like controlling your Bgt levels well is recommended ?

Ken.

bmtest

I know 2 other diabetics in the community one is a neigbour and works in the same organisation and the other I have also known for well over 30years.

It is interesting to me when questioning them how little they know about the situation and also how the doctors never connect it directly to Diabetes as they will only do this if stats back it up.

Anyhow I was talking to an american guy online who happened to have trigger finger he had the following done which is quite a quick procedure.

Paste this link into your browser to see the needle Needle Aponeurotomy / Fasciotomy for Dupuytren's Contracture.

If you are handy with needles it could probably be done at home by a skilled person as they basically snap the skin to free the tendons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA1xaxK3 ... re=related

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Getting that BG down into the SAFE zone sounds simpler and easier and more likely to be successful.