Wrongly diagnosed? Hba1c level has halved in a week

prijana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I went to the doctors last week as I was feeling really tired and run down. A day later I got a call that my Hba1c is way to high it was at 58. I then was told to test my levels for a week and there were normally below 6.5. I then went to another appointment a week later and they checked my blood again. I got my results today at my Hba1c has gone down to 32, which is a huge difference. They now think that I have diabetes type 1 in a honeymoon period. Is this even possible? Would my results almost half within a week? I do feel a lot better this week and I have slept better, but maybe they switched my results. I now have to another week to speak to a doctor...Has this happened to anyone?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I went to the doctors last week as I was feeling really tired and run down. A day later I got a call that my Hba1c is way to high it was at 58. I then was told to test my levels for a week and there were normally below 6.5. I then went to another appointment a week later and they checked my blood again. I got my results today at my Hba1c has gone down to 32, which is a huge difference. They now think that I have diabetes type 1 in a honeymoon period. Is this even possible? Would my results almost half within a week? I do feel a lot better this week and I have slept better, but maybe they switched my results. I now have to another week to speak to a doctor...Has this happened to anyone?
It's possible one or both of the tests was wrong, which is why it's a good idea to repeat them if in doubt. It's also possible that they are both accurate and the doctor is right, because there are a lot of quality controls on labs and mistakes are rare.

If I were you I would keep testing my blood glucose each day on waking up. Hopefully at your next appointment things will be clearer. If you feel unwell please do call a doctor, even if it's after hours. In the UK there is the NHS 111 advice line for non-emergencies, or if you feel really bad, just call 999. There are various other blood tests the doctor can request that may help. The good news is that as long as your blood glucose is under 8.5, you're not in any danger from high levels.