Xylitol

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone use this?Is a little ok to use now and then ? Dont much like using artificial sweeteners,at least I try stay away much as I can. I know xylitol is dangerous for dogs but is a little ok for diabetes?Thanks

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Xylitol has had no discernable affects on my BG when I've used it. Anyway after 5 months of low carbing my sweet tooth has all but disapeared.

Reactions: 4 people

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw thanks for your reply @DeejayR. I am going to make the odd chocolate smoothy with organic soy milk ,bournville cocoa with tofu added. I made it the other day and it was scrumdiddlyumptious:)! But used artificial sweetener and would rather not.. I need to eat tofu my doctor said with being vegetarian and needing to cut way down on carbs ..tried in in a stirfry but hate the texture. Choc smoothy a very pleasant way to take it and get some protein into me :)!

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Xylitol has had no discernable affects on my BG when I've used it. Anyway after 5 months of low carbing my sweet tooth has all but disapeared.
Thankyou for your reply..Appreciate it :)!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Others you could try are stevia or erythritol - theses are also quite safe for diabetics - :p and dogs! None of the carbs in them are absorbed so shouldn't affect your glucose levels. I use them both (mainly the erythritol in baking) without any ill effects.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks Robbity..I am looking forward to begin baking for my health and tastebuds. But just getting my head around all I need to know and normal day to day eating first before I get too creative in the kitchen :)!

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Jo123. I might try amazon at some point tho will probably get it locally to begin with.