Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Recommended reading to all.

Rob

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
A

Anonymous

Re: Yahoo Today - "Diabetes: 24,000 Deaths A Year Blamed ON

Depressing to read the comments posted after the Independent's article - same old same old about it being our fault because we're fat and don't exercise.. some people are far braver online then they would be to your face.

oh, and does anyone really use old style syringes any more or are we all on pre-loaded pens for insulin? (referring to the lead photo in the independent).

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people

It so sad that the level of care is not the 'same' all over. Which I have read on here. I have been lucky so far with my GP but will see when I get my first diabetic clinic in 3-4 months.

Also quite sad about being over weight and unfit. Yes I am over weight and was(still am but working on it) when the GP told me I was diabetic. Not at any time did my GP tell me it was because I was over weight. In fact when he said I had probably had this for at least 5yrs I mentioned I wasnt this big 5 yrs back in fact I was 4-5 stone lighter and running around caring for family without 2 mins to myself. His reply was that most of my weight gain was probabaly down to the diabetes!!!

Unbeliever

The National Audit Office is a VERY useful organisation. No doub his is why it is being abolished. We all have a great deal to thank them for although most of us are probably unaware of it.

I suppose its existence is a great handicap to politicians of any ilk . It has an uncomfortable habit of presenting them with the true outcome of their policies - and usually while they are still around to answer for them. Their information is gleaned from from extremely thorough inspections at grass roots level. I speak feelingly and wih experience as one of my previous manifestations was as a civil servant in an office subject to periodic inspections by the NAO. I had a lot of responsibility for the financial side of things
and a lot of involvement with the audits. They were by no means "box tickers" but obviously checked compliance and any appparent deviation was thoroughly investigated . Never havingever been one to toet he party line I was sometimes subjected to high pressure "grillings" but fair enough. Public money. I came to respect these people very much - different people each ime and I can remeber how proud I felt when I managed to impress them and some of my innovations were adopted as national policy.

What is going to replace them? Some years later I worked for a naional utility in the throes of privatisaion. A large , internaionally known company of accountants had been called in to compile the final account and annual report of the utility. I was astounded at the casual ,uncoordinated approach of these people but not at all surprised when they failed to produce he final report. At what cost to the nation.? I totally understand that the National Audit office and the accountants were not doing exactly the same thing but thie International accountants could have learnt much from the National Auditors.

I aalso see that DUK have been very quick to jump on the Bandwagon and claim this report as their own ,almost. They are part of the problem not the solution! They desperately need some challenge to their posiion as the VOICE of DIABETES . They might then start actually listening to ,and representing , diabetics. They are no different to any other large charity in that they do a great deal of good in some ways and feel that this justifies compromise in others. This is a very difficult call with potentially far reaching consequences and sometimes they get it wrong. As I keep saying - I didn't vote for DUK .

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

iggy-lil said:
It so sad that the level of care is not the 'same' all over. Which I have read on here. I have been lucky so far with my GP but will see when I get my first diabetic clinic in 3-4 months.

Also quite sad about being over weight and unfit. Yes I am over weight and was(still am but working on it) when the GP told me I was diabetic. Not at any time did my GP tell me it was because I was over weight. In fact when he said I had probably had this for at least 5yrs I mentioned I wasnt this big 5 yrs back in fact I was 4-5 stone lighter and running around caring for family without 2 mins to myself. His reply was that most of my weight gain was probabaly down to the diabetes!!!

I am overweight, but my Doc said it was probably becuase my mum had it, dad had it and my brothers got it, so it was on the cards " my sweet tooth probably did not heko", but my Doc Said it would not have been cos I am overweight.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

Unbeliever said:
I didn't vote for DUK .

I'll be voting against them on Tuesday night, after IanD puts them to the wall with his low-carb presentation...

A

Anonymous

borofergie said:
I'll be voting against them on Tuesday night, after IanD puts them to the wall with his low-carb presentation...

Is that the Hounslow meeting? Fair swim from here but might be interesting.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I've put my 2p's worth on the Independent's website. Lets all put the eat to your meter mantra on there.