year in and feel proper pants and stressed, any advice please

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would also add that you need to start testing before and after meals. The fasting readings are fine for saying that something is wrong, but doesn't do a lot to say where the problems stem from. Test before a meal and then 2 hours afterwards ( to start with you might also want to test at 1 and 3 hours as well to really try and find out what the BS peaks at) You need to try and keep the rise to about 2.0, believe me when you see it keep going up to 5 or 6 point above the pre meal reading, or even higher for a really bad meal it does hit home.

If going cold turkey on carbs is putting you off try just reducing your carbs, some people find cold turkey is the best option others, myself included, don't, halving my carbs brought my levels down, but still let me enjoy a little of what I like which stops me binging and subsequently getting depressed and comfort binging even more, so I end up in a vicious cycle.

Reactions: 6 people

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried the NHS diet before I knew about this site. I tried it for about 3 months. Then I found this site and started cutting out the carbs. My BG came down. If you are going to try LCHF, I would suggest reducing the carbs gradually. I suffered from "carb flu", I think I reduced the carbs too quick. Also, I was told by the DN that look at the "at what sugars" for the carb content, you might know this already, but it's the "total carb content" that counts

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I tried the NHS diet before I knew about this site. I tried it for about 3 months. Then I found this site and started cutting out the carbs. My BG came down. If you are going to try LCHF, I would suggest reducing the carbs gradually. I suffered from "carb flu", I think I reduced the carbs too quick. Also, I was told by the DN that look at the "at what sugars" for the carb content, you might know this already, but it's the "total carb content" that counts
I did the opposite and cold turkeyed ... as near zero carbs as was possible for weeks and then reintroduced a few in small doses.
I am now happy with my weight have lower cholesterol lower blood pressure BS under very good control so am introducing more carbs back into my diet.
But we're all different.
The main weapon in my armoury is my meter ... I eat to my meter.
Second is my diet third is my Metformin.
I'm allergic to Statins so can't take them.

Reactions: 4 people

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the opposite and cold turkeyed ... as near zero carbs as was possible for weeks and then reintroduced a few in small doses.
I am now happy with my weight have lower cholesterol lower blood pressure BS under very good control so am introducing more carbs back into my diet.
But we're all different.
The main weapon in my armoury is my meter ... I eat to my meter.
Second is my diet third is my Metformin.
I'm allergic to Statins so can't take them.

I learnt through my meter as well. I've had a few surprises. My DN has only give me one prescription for test strips ever. She said the NHS say that type 2's don't need them. I've been buying mine off ebay. If you can manage without statins (I am at the moment), it's probably a good thing. My mam and brother are on them and they say it zaps your energy.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear forum,
just joined even tho i read the forum on a regular basis, im 35 and male and was told i had diabetes a year ago but just seem to never get anywhere with it.
I am on x2 500mg metformin with food twice a day along with 2x 80mg gliclazide.
Most mornings even before breakfast i have a high sugar reading also i am sick most morning vomiting :(
Please see below some sugar reading,
today = 17.2
28.03.15 = 11.7
19.03.15 = 20.5
17.03.15 = 16
15.03.15 = 14.7
6.3.15 = 14.4

sometimes i get the odd reading of 8 or 9 with i am please about but surely should not be that high, i drink loads of water and i do try avoiding sugar in most things, i drink occasionaly just any advice would be great, im moving to a new area soon so i hope the new doctors can help more
Hope you all have a great sunday
Also was thinking of trying the low carb high fat diet?
Hi my bgs were about the same before I started lchf - I remember feeling pleased when I 'got it down' to 11! I was on much more medication than you are and was started on insulin last October. I also started lchf and within two weeks my BG was within normal range. I am convinced this is largely due to lchf, and won't change back. Give it a go, you can always try something different if it doesn't suit you.

mrboobie79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well tomorrow is the start date, looking 4ward to trying it out tbh, i am going to be strict monday to friday and try a couple of treats come the weekend, will weigh myself tomorrow and update how i am getting on, thanks all

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
well tomorrow is the start date, looking 4ward to trying it out tbh, i am going to be strict monday to friday and try a couple of treats come the weekend, will weigh myself tomorrow and update how i am getting on, thanks all
Weigh yourself directly before the weekend and directly after.. You may find the "treat days" aren't worth it...

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Being strict all week is good but make sure the treats are small one which won't spike your blood sugar too much and undo all the effort you have made in the week. As Donnellydogs says "You may find the "treat days" aren't worth it..." if you put on the lbs you have lost and undo the health benefits of beong strict all week.

Good luck, if you stick with it you will feel much better soon.

Reactions: 3 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I went cold turkey and at the time didn't think I had any withdrawal effects. However, I spent 2 weeks throwing up which on reflection could have been that! Could have been something else of course...
Also, I lost 9llbs in 5 weeks which I think was mostly water. You will feel better in so many ways so good luck and keep us posted

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Make your treats - new better LCHF Treats... Make a pizza using meat, make a LCHF cake and eat it with double cream... you will be surprised once you get your head round it how much your taste buds will change. Overindulge on nuts - especailly the ones with the lower carb value - that way you will feel naughty without undoing all your hard work.

tyroler

Dear forum,
just joined even tho i read the forum on a regular basis, im 35 and male and was told i had diabetes a year ago but just seem to never get anywhere with it.
I am on x2 500mg metformin with food twice a day along with 2x 80mg gliclazide.
Most mornings even before breakfast i have a high sugar reading also i am sick most morning vomiting :(
Please see below some sugar reading,
today = 17.2
28.03.15 = 11.7
19.03.15 = 20.5
17.03.15 = 16
15.03.15 = 14.7
6.3.15 = 14.4

sometimes i get the odd reading of 8 or 9 with i am please about but surely should not be that high, i drink loads of water and i do try avoiding sugar in most things, i drink occasionaly just any advice would be great, im moving to a new area soon so i hope the new doctors can help more
Hope you all have a great sunday
Also was thinking of trying the low carb high fat diet?

I even have beter,but it changed with my last 5 week Hiking in Bishop California. Now i have to eat to get Bloodsugar up.

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
And exercise....exercise exercise....nothing burns glucose better than exercise, reduces insulin resistance, reduces weight, and many other benefits... The combination of low carb and exercise is very powerful for us t2's.