Year to wait for BS test

maddiemo

Hi. I'm pretty worried about my BS as its getting higher. Phoned Dr told her but she said I'm not due for another test for a year, I insisted I have another one.
What I was wondering is a year is a long time don't you think? I could be T2 diabetic in that year and wouldn't know. Is this usual? For prediabetic

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am Type 2 and I only get offered a HbA1c test once a year now. Its to do with cuts. There are NICE guidelines, but they are only guidelines, and different surgeries are free to disregard the guidelines.

maddiemo

Well I'm glad I insisted I want to know one way or another if I'm diabetic, I'm sure I must be as its going into the 12s.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was at doctor today for an unrelated matter and asked about getting hba1c done. I had thought I should get an hba1c a year after diagnosis (which was sept 2011) The doctor told me I didn't need one as I was "a well controlled diabetic". I challlenged him as to how he could possibly know that as I'm not allowed any testing equipment! I explained that the fear factor has disappeared now and I feel I'm reverting back to old eating habits so I don't feel well controlled. He then went on to explain it's all about cutbacks and how difficult it is to get all the diabetics in the surgery tested just once per year never mind more often! He told me I'll have to wait until the New Year "and that will give you time to get fear factor back and eating under control again".

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
maddiemo wrote
What I was wondering is a year is a long time don't you think? I could be T2 diabetic in that year and wouldn't know. Is this usual? For prediabetic

I'm not clear what you're after. On diagnosis I was told to go away and try diet and exercise. No metformin, no nothing, other than a 3-month challenge.
I soon found books by Dr Briffa, Gary Taubes, Barry Groves, Dr Kendrick et al who all ponted. one way - low-carb high fat.
I invested in some dumbells.
3 months later my GP was delighted with my lowered HbA1c. At some point he will switch to yearly review.

Had I not been diagnosed diabetic but pre-diabetic, I might have heeded the warning, done the same research, found out that under so-called 'healthy eating' pre-diabetes would progress to diabetes at some point, and ended up at the same place I'm at now - controlling things.

I reviewed all your posts. Are you still low-carbing as you were in 2010 ? What are your bs levels doing generally ?
Do you fear you need medication to control things ?

I would have thought finding this forum would have been the best thing to help. An HbA1c is only a measure of doing the right thing, and a diagnosis is only a question of numbers, where those numbers are moveable. There are loads of success stories on here.

Where's the problem (and I mean that honestly, as a good GP would want to know what was the problem FOR YOU) ?

Geoff

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could always do your own home Glucose Tolerance Test, but I don't understand why a definitive answer is so important to you? If you've already been diagnosed as prediabetic, being diagnosed as Type 2 won't mean that much to your treatment except possibly a script for Metformin. The advice you would get from most posters here would be the same as the advice you've already received to lower carbs and establish a test routine for BG levels. Almost all the early health issues can be reversed by controlling blood glucose.

halfpint

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In some ways I can understand how you feel. Without an official diagnosis its much easier to go into denial, 'cos, after all there isn't anything officially wrong, is there ! ! !

I am kinda in the same position. I didn't even realise that I was considered as pre-diabetic until I came onto this site and was informed that my HbA1c was in fact pre-diabetic. My doctor still hasn't said as much, neither has he actually given me any guidance as to what I should be doing. Luckily I have relatives that are diabetic - which is why I asked for the test in the first place, as I was experiencing symptoms - and I have been luckily enough to find this site. The advice and info from you all has been eye-opening, thanks.

But if I just blindly followed what the doctor has told me, which is eat normally, including cakes, biscuits, lots of carbs etc. I would be definitely diabetic in a few months time. For many people who are not internet aware, they would only rely on the doctor and as we have seen in many questions on the site the advice being given is not adequate. I would actually prefer a firm diagnosis as, for me, it would make it easier to respond to the challenges. But ultimately it really makes no difference because I would still have to be doing the same as I am now.

Defren

maddiemo said:
Hi. I'm pretty worried about my BS as its getting higher. Phoned Dr told her but she said I'm not due for another test for a year, I insisted I have another one.

As a pre-diabetic I'm not sure the NICE guidelines Lucy referred to even apply. I would have done what you have and insisted, but I would also keep a good supply of strips handy. As a pre-diabetic we have told you, you must keep a close eye on your BG. You can't do that without strips. If your BG is going up then it's likely you will be diagnosed as a T2. As has been said already, apart from a script for Metformin, nothing advice wise is going to change. Keep the carbs low, if you are able do some exercise each week, and some personal advice that works for me, drink at least a liter of water every day.

Why does being diagnosed mean so much to you? Once your in, there is no way out.

Good luck, I hope your HbA1c comes back negative for you.

Cynthia6

I have changed my doctor because of my diabetes, I got my bloods done but had to wait 3 weeks to see the nurse I am type 2 and on Metformin I joined my new practise last Wednesday, saw the nurse yesterday and seeing the doctor tomorrow and am hoping he will give me some strips for my meter. I got the meter free from the bayer website but i cant afford £25 for for strips for it, I only test once a year or if I am feeling unwell