yearly diabetes management checks with GP or practice nurse

James Price

May I ask?
Does anyone know of any Uk guidlines on how often people with diabetes should have a check up by their GP or practice nurse?

When you go to the gp or practice nurse for your review do they weigh you and measure your waist circumference as part of your check?

Thank you all James

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Your local PCT will have a published policy. Go to their website and locate it.
I'm in West Berkshire and the policy is for annual tests if control is good. I organise myself another one mid way, so I get one every 6 months. I simply ring the DSN and ask for a blood test form, which I take to the hospital[I am allowed to do this, because I'm so difficult to get blood from. all others attend the phlebotomist who comes to the Health Centre.]
I then arrange an appointment with the nurse. the annual check, she organises.
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi James.

This is what NICE recommends.

1.3.2 Measure the individual’s HbA1c levels at:

• 2–6-monthly intervals (tailored to individual needs) until the blood glucose level is stable on unchanging therapy; use a measurement made at an interval of less than 3 months as a indicator of direction of change, rather than as a new steady state

• 6-monthly intervals once the blood glucose level and blood glucose-lowering therapy are stable.

I see my endo at a Diabetes Clinic in the West Mids. I get a full lipid panel and other checks done every 3 months without fail. I see my DSN at the same Clinic in between and she does the weight/height/BMI etc checks then. These are passed on to my endo. I hardly ever see my GP or Practice Nurse.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
James,

my experience consurs with Ken (Cugila), although we are both based around the wider Birmingham area.
My Gp's rules are that you are seen every 3 months if therapy changes are required (eg change in type or dose of medication). Once you have done a 6 month run (2 x 3 monthly reviews) without any therapy changes and demonstrating good management, then you move out to a 6 month review. I also agree with Ken that I personally would not accept a 6 month break without lipid/HBA1C results, though I understand that a request to the GP to re-issue the blood tests 3 monthly would be accommodated. We are told that non insulin T2's do not need to do daily tests, but I havent had a 6 month interval as yet and if I could not confirm my control during an extended review period, I would go crazy!!.

Regards Steve.