Yet another confused Newbie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I was told on Friday 19.09.08 that I have Diabetes. I was nagged by my beloved to go to Dr’s because of usual symptoms. I took a fasting blood test Thursday, leaving with a cheerful, "ring in on Tuesday for your results" from the nurse. Bit surprised when surgery called me back that afternoon to see Doc the following day. Apparently was worried that my level was 20.... I am still not exactly sure what that means to my diagnosis. :? Any how, I was put straight onto Metformin, 1 tablet a day for a week then 2 a day. Back to see Doc in 3 weeks. The thing is that he confused me slightly when talking about T1 and T2. I know what the difference is, but he said T2 usually has a much lower level. I had 3 more lots of blood taken, so will they tell me if it is T2 or T1? I have seen other posts and notice that Metformin isn’t used for T1, so can I assume that it’s T2????????

Tinx

Hi Kelvin

I have the same scenario, I am now on Metformin and Gliclizide and they are reluctant to diagnose either way although its a probable type 1, they may well be just seeing how you react on Met before a proper diagnosis.

DiabeticGeek

The only way to be certain which type you have is something called a C-peptide test. Most T1 diabetics have very low levels of C-peptide (or none at all), whereas T2 diabetics usually have either normal or raised levels. This is a test that has to be done in a lab - and that, no doubt, is what your doctor is waiting for.

You are right in thinking that metformin won't do anything for T1. You have been given it because a BG level of 20 mmol/l is extremely high, and your doctor will want to get it down as soon as possible. If you have T2 then this should work, and you are likely to be on metformin for a while (maybe permanently, maybe not). If, on the other hand, it is T1 the metformin won't help although it won't have done any harm. If that is the case you can expect the metformin to be stopped and you will be put onto insulin (all T1 diabetics need insulin). The reason that you have been given low doses of metformin initially is that some people do get side effects (stomach cramps, wind, diarrhoea etc.), which usually go away when you build up tolerance to the drug. Starting on a low dose and building up to a higher one is a good way to do this - and quite often can mean that there are no side effects at all.

(edited by Dennis)

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well now on 2 met's a day, seems to upset my stomach both with indigestion and the other end. I am already taking pills for excess acid in stomach (Omeprezol ) and also on mad pills for depression (Venlafaxine ). Up to starting on the Met haven’t had any reflux for ages, since starting the Om.

Can I expect this to calm down?

Still really don’t understand everything that I'm supposed to do, have another 3 weeks before get to see a Diabetic Nurse at Dr's. :?

Been getting lots of recommendations to read this book or that book, some with very cheesy looking Dr's in white coats on the front, looking like some self-help Californian nut. Really don’t know what or who to trust. Low carbs, High carbs, No carbs, no fats, trans fats, Low GI
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

The think I guess is that I don’t feel 'ill', no ache, pain, nothing to put a bandage on so it seems like nothing. The tiredness has always been put down to a combination of shift work and the depression I have. Yes I know that’s part of this new illness, but I have trouble associating it with something serious. I should do because my Nan lost her sight and eventually her life to it. A colleague who had recently heard about the diagnoses summed it up when he said, "Well you don’t look ill!” How should I look? :eek:

Could it just be that I’m in the ‘denial’ part of the grieving process as a result of the diagnosis?
Possible I suppose. Who knows?

Wow that’s a bit deep :shock:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Although the c-peptide test is the definitive one for distinguishing T1 and T2. , If Metformin or one of the Sulphonylureas, eg Gliclazide controls your bgs, then you're not likely to be a T1.
Even in the early stages, Metformin won't do much for a T1 without insulin. So it's possible to make a guess that despite never having been tested, I'm a T2, because I manage on Metformin alone 5 years post diagnosis. Had I been a T1 that wouldn't have been likely/.

Lel

Hey,

I totally understand the grieving part that you're talking about, and to an extent that's exactly what you're doing, greiving for an easy life that you no longer have.

Diabetes is frustrating and a complete pain in the ass sometimes but you have it and there isnt really much you can do about getting rid of it all you can do is maintain it.

It's so daunting to start off with as you dont have clue about anything at all 'cos until you are diagnosed diabetes is one of things that you really dont give two hoots about so therefore dont go and research it.

This is probably one of the best things you can do...arm yourself with as much knowledge about Diabetes as possible and i swear this will make things slot into place a little better.

I started off as being diagnosed as Type 2 but they have recently discovered im type 1 and im now on insulin. They will start you on the meds to see if they have any impact at all if not they will more than likely move you onto insulin, which is really not as bad as you think.

As for eating cut your carbs as much as you possibly can and this will definately help your numbers, this is hard to start off with but you soon get used to it.
Also test test test to see what's happening in your body, the hospital/clinic will be checking what the meds are doing to you but it cant do any harm in seeing what is happening the rest of the time.
Relax as well dont let it get to you to much because there really is nothing you can do apart from look after your health.

If you have any questions then there is always someone on here that can help you.
Take care xx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That's another thing!!!!! numbers.........
How am I supposed to know what they are? Was I supposed to have been given a test thingy?
Will I get one when I eventually get to see someone at a diabetic clinic?

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Hi Kelvin

Welcome to the forum. I wasn't given any testing strips or meters when I was first diagnosed (Aug 11) but when I saw DN I asked if I should be testing cos saw that everyone on here was advising it so then they gave me a free meter and prescriptions for strips etc etc. I haven't seen dietician yet but from the little bit of experimenting I've done low carb is definitely the way to go.

I blamed the tiredness etc on stress at work and didn't really think that I wasn't well until I have started getting better through taking meds! Although now when I tell people I am diabetic they all say well you haven't looked good for a while - great I think thanks for saying something eh :eek:

I'm not sure that even after 7/8 weeks following diagnosis that it has properly sunk in that this is for life but guess I will get there sooner or later :cry: This forum is excellent for advice and reading the responses can really cheer you up if you are feeling down.

Hope you manage to get yourself sorted when you see the doc - it's worrying when they ring from the surgery following blood test - that happened to me twice and it's not good :cry:

Anyway welcome again and make sure you read all the threads relating to diet etc and you won't go far wrong
Chris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I spoke to my DSN at the surgery yesterday, she was giving my wife the flu jab :lol: and asked her about a meter again, as she said at our first meeting that 'they' didn’t give them out for T2 on Metformin as not likely to get blood levels that low to be in danger of a hypo. My point was that, how was I to know if I was eating the right stuff, if I didn’t know what my levels are? She is willing to let me have a metre free of charge, but warned me that the PCT where I live, Great Yarmouth and Waveney, will only allow one prescription a year for the testing strips!!!! This seems ludicrous, I know that I can buy them on the internet etc, but one lot a year, what good is that?
Has anyone else had a similar experience, or any advice on tackling the PCT :?:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
So that's one a week? I have heard that advice given,in fact I know someone who sticks to that advice.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My PCT,Berkshire, also only recommends testing once or twice a week for T2. I'm trying to make themkeep to their protocols, which say that testing more is Ok if it's part of the patient's treatment plan. I'm going to see GP about it next week and I'm asking for a pack a month as the minimum I can manage on.
they're going by this rubbish Irish study, which says that testing doesn't help a T2 and that too much testing causes anxiety and depression. Not testing, would make me a gibbering wreck, especially if i had to get up to hte umbers they think aare good enough. I want to be at non-diabetic levels and I am nearly all the time

Alba37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kevin

Just wondering how your stomach is now? I'm on similar medication, I eventually got on Metformin slow release and they have helped my stomach a good bit.

A x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
The stomach is ok now. A little bit windy occasionally :shock: but apart from that, all is settled (touch wood). :lol:

Alba37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for letting me know Kevin. At least now you know you can try slow release if you experience more discomfort.

Take care

A x

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Kelvin,

The management of your diabetes is entirely within your control.

Although research shows that testing does nothing to help improve a patients control of their blood glucose levels, NICE do recommend that testing is discussed with new diagnosed T2s (see this post for a summary of the guidelines and the full guidelines can be found here). It is obvious that you are not going to know how what you're eating is affecting your blood glucose levels. A response from an under-secretary of state for Health regarding the different levels of access T2s are given to self testing can be found here.

In summary
Any PCT which is automatically discouraging the prescription of blood glucose testing strips is not acting in according with NICE's advice that self-monitoring may prove useful to people in their overall approach to self-care.

Your PCT may argue that by letting you test once a week that they are providing you access to testing, however it is madness to send a newly diagnosed person from the clinic with a "here's your medication, follow this diet, look after yourself, ta-ta". It is also a valid point that you need to know how to interpret the readings and act upon that interpretation. It sounds like your PCT are making short-term savings at the risk of the longer-term savings that would be made by allowing you to better manage your condition i.e £15/month vs. the £000s to treat you for the various complications.

The decision to allow you to test should be made on clinical need - if your DN isn't willing to discuss it with you then approach your GP. If no joy there see if your local PALS will help and if they are unable/unwilling to step in then your PCT's policy is for you to contact the complaints manager. I suspect you will need to counter the arguments that too much testing causes stress and anxiety, you will need to demonstrate that you can interpret the results and act upon that interpretation. I don't have access to the advice handed out to PCTs and chief nurses and GPs by Sue Roberts so can't tell you what that is (an FOI request is underway thought) but it would be worth discussing it with your DN, your GP and your PCT.

The wealth of experience on this forum clearly demonstrates that there is no such thing as a "diet for diabetics" and what works for one person may not work for the next, the only way we are able to find that out is by testing.

Regards, Tubs.

Trinkwasser

kelvinmiddleton said:
She is willing to let me have a metre free of charge, but warned me that the PCT where I live, Great Yarmouth and Waveney, will only allow one prescription a year for the testing strips!!!! This seems ludicrous, I know that I can buy them on the internet etc, but one lot a year, what good is that?
Has anyone else had a similar experience, or any advice on tackling the PCT :?:

When the PCT was set up they discovered they were £9 million *further* in debt than they expected. Also I suspect the influence of a VERY arrogant endo in Narch who absolutely forbids any of his Type 2s to test at all ever. So be glad you are "saving" money to pay for his salary.

That's one prescription a year more than I get. I am educating my GP quite successfully as to the benefits of testing but that doesn't affect the accountants.