Yikes... high BSL's after night shifts

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Did a couple of night shifts Weds and Thurs last week and only just really recovered from them.

Around 3am on the first night my BSL's were 22. Gave myself some insulin and checked a couple of hours later and they'd barely moved. And that's pretty much how it was until last night. Constantly adding insulin to bring me down but it just didn't seem to be having the effect I wanted.

I changed to new pens after the first night shift, so counted out dodgy insulin.

Slept to 17:30 on Friday then got up but felt so rough I went back to bed and woke up at 10:30 Saturday morning. Tested my levels as soon as a woke up and was 20 again. Gave myself 10u of novorapid and 2 hours later I had only come down to 17. Felt so sick and tired, my wife rang the on call docs and I spent sat morning having a good old chat with him at the drop in centre.

He asked if I'd had breakfast that morning and I told him no. I was always of the understanding that if your levels are above 10 then why eat and add to that.

Tested my urine for glucose and ketones and obviously they were sky high (and I've lost a few lbs since Wednesday too!)

Seem to have caught up with things now and hope to keep it that way. However I do have 2 more night shifts Mon/Tue this week so I hope this isn't a recurring pattern. I've done nights before when I was in Oz for 2 years and never had a problem. Haven't felt under the weather and no symptoms of any infection.

So, just to ease my mind, I shouldn't eat if my BSL's are say 10 or above right? Or have I not understood something I should have when I was DX'd 14 years ago!?

josie38

Hi,

Maybe you should talk to your DSN because you may need to change your MDIs round if working nights a couple of times a week is a regular thing. It could be that you still need the short acting insulin when you are sleeping all day. It may be best to do a DAFNE course (if you haven't already). This teaches you carb:insulin ratios and how to have correction doses when running hi.

If my BS is above 10, I do eat and have a correction dose as well as my normal insulin.

If night shift is regular thing maybe you could look at getting a pump.

Hope all goes well

Josie