1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Yippee!!!

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by smidge, Mar 26, 2011.

1. smidge

smidge LADA · Well-Known Member

Hiya guys!

Just thought I'd share my two bits of good news. First, I had my HbA1c on Friday and it's down from 6.8 to to 5.6! So pleased with that as I thought it might have gone up as I've been on and off different types of insulin for the last couple of months and experimenting with different levels of carb. It's been a very difficult few months, but now it feels it's been worth it :D

Second,at my consultant appointment on Friday, I was told I had to see his registrar instead, and I was a bit fed-up with that at first, but he was brilliant. Listened to everything I had to say about how difficult it is not knowing what type of diabetes I have. He then went to speak to the consultant and got him to agree to anti-body tests to see if it's LADA. Took the blood there and then, so I'm waiting for the results now. If it comes back positive, I have my diagnosis, if it's negative, there's a chance they'll do MODY tests next. I am so happy I might finally find out what's wrong with me!

Thanks for listening!

Smidge

2. Squadron Leader

Squadron Leader Type 2 · Active Member

Yay!! Great to hear you might (finally) have an answer soon.

And congrats on your HbA1c result too - I'm jealous!

Regards,
    Klair

3. Lucie75

Lucie75 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Gosh, how do you have an A1C that low without losing hypo warnings? As soon as mine dips below 7.2 ish I lose all warnings.

4. smidge

smidge LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi Lucie!

That must be tough for you! I guess I'm lucky as I'm not Type1 (yet) I still produce basal insulin and my body still produces glucagen (?) so corrects me pretty well if I'm going a bit low, so I probably don't suffer hypos as much as some of you - in fact, in the 6 months I've been on insulin I've only had two (one very mild 3.8 shortly after starting basal, and one more severe 2.7 shortly after starting rapid-acting). Both times, I was pretty shaky, headachey and not feeling right, so it was pretty obvious to me I needed to test. The second one did catch me out a bit as I was having a glass of wine after my food and I was thinking 'one glass of wine doesn't usually go to my head like this' - and then I realised! :oops: I guess you've been on insulin a long time and don't produce any insulin of your own? I think I've probably got that to look forward to if I turn out to be LADA :( , but while I''m still producing basal insulin, it's easier to control the BG with rapid-acting at meal times and get good HbA1c wihtout going hypo.

Smidge

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook