1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Yoga

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Jonathan CB, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Jonathan CB

Jonathan CB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Anyone else do yoga here, How beneficial is it for diabetics?

2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I've done a fair bit of Bikram Yoga. I found it has a similar effect on my BG as moderate exercise. Other than this, it's useful for keeping you flexible, but i can't say that it has made any difference long term to my condition.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ArtemisBow

ArtemisBow Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I do yoga at least once a week and find it helps massively - I think because often when I have high blood sugars it is stress driven, and I find spending an hour doing yoga really helps to calm me, which helps in bringing BG levels down. I tested before and after my yoga class last week, and reduced from 8.6 to 5.7. Obviously any exercise can help with keeping BG levels down, so I think the important thing is to find something you enjoy.

• Like Like x 6
  4. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

• Like Like x 2
  5. lizdeluz

lizdeluz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I go to a 90 min class once per week but also do 30 mins at home on at least 4 other days. It's the relaxation and stretching that I have found beneficial - the relaxation, breathing and concentration alleviate the stress that can cause high blood sugar spikes and the stretching aids flexibility, mobility and balance - all important for diabetes - and increases the feel-good factor of a LCHF diet.

• Like Like x 2
    #5 lizdeluz, Dec 12, 2014 at 12:57 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  6. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I tried Yoga in my youth. & only succeeded in winding the teacher up.. Lol the guy actually threatened to "punch me out"..
    I used to be an "angry young man" hopped up & irritated by high BS. I find a focus on music helps me imensly these days.. Mainly metal & punk.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Sheesh ... now THAT is different. We're all unique and I love my music too, but that would wind me up no end :) Too funny :)

Now have to decide between some Mozart or some Metallica for tonite.

8. ElyDave

ElyDave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's hardly in keeping with the philosophy, ahimsa and all that:facepalm:

• Like Like x 4
  9. ElyDave

I started doing it years ago, pre diagnosis mainly for the flexibility improvements. I'm a runner adn cyclist and also spend time sitting in cars, planes, trains etc all of which tend to lead to tight hamstrings and then other issues.

In terms of diabetes, if I'm far enough away from the last bolus then it tends to be BG neutral, i.e. no significnat change either way.

Benefits? I'd say they were pretty much the same as for anyone else.

• Like Like x 2
  10. lizdeluz

True but I don't think yoga is just all about calmy calmy either. I've noticed that when you practise an asana or pose that is difficult for you - in my case, cobra and boat used to give me real grief - you do develop the strength for them gradually over time. Within reason, of course. Past injuries prevent me attempting some asanas, but I can work out my own versions and paths towards them. So strength as well as flexibility.

11. ElyDave

My yoga teacher would probably say soemthing along the lines of you having the wrong aim for the practice in that case. Like you, I'm a bit goal oriented, i.e. want to be able to do xyz asana or pose and get frustrated when I cant.

His view is of the practice as a prayer with the inward focus on the breath rather the outcome being the thing to aim for. I haven't got there yet either. :angelic:

12. lizdeluz

Yes, I recognise that in my teacher too.

13. lizdeluz

But not in me, I admit! :)

14. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I think that was the issue i had... Where as what i wanted was another noisy burn at the dance college i was attending at the time! :p

15. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

16. buckley8219

buckley8219 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's a fantastic place to meet lots of healthy bendy women in my experience.

Oh and it's also good for flexibility, it's exercise so can lower blood sugar. It's also fantastic for improving posture and recovery from other forms of exercise. I did it when I was running decent miles and cycling alot.

But if you're looking for exercise to help with diabetes and insulin sensitivity, compound weight exercises (heavy ones) and cardio (running, cycling) will sort you out quicker. True doing a load of smith machine squats and then giving a bolus into your leg a couple of hours later, sugar levels drop faster than a bad facelift.

All exercise if better than sitting on your behind though, so get involved if you think you'll like it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ElyDave

So I shouldn't have given myself a mental fist-bump when I broke my personal headstand record this evening:)

18. jules65

jules65 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am a yoga teacher and whilst we shouldn't be aiming for records... headstands are my fav... so what was your record Dave?:)

19. ElyDave

25 breaths last time :woot:

20. jules65

jules65 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well done :)
    I ask my students to leave their egos at the door, which seems to be harder for the guys ;)
    I once "lost myself" for half an hour... if the alignment is correct it is easier than standing on your feet :)

However, I couldn't run the way you do, have never had the inclination to run anywhere! But admiration all round to those that do.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook