Yoghurt and berries

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen on this site that yoghurt, is ok to have. Some say Greek yoghurt.
I have a pot of Asda Greek style natural yogurt.
The carbohydrates are 4.9g. Per 100 g.
So it still has carbs, is this ok, or have I purchased the wrong one?
If ok, how much can I have?

Blueberries, how much carbs have they got, how many can I have? I love blueberries, could eat loads!
Help / advice on the above would be appreciated, thanks

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I have seen on this site that yoghurt, is ok to have. Some say Greek yoghurt.
I have a pot of Asda Greek style natural yogurt.
The carbohydrates are 4.9g. Per 100 g.
So it still has carbs, is this ok, or have I purchased the wrong one?
If ok, how much can I have?

Blueberries, how much carbs have they got, how many can I have? I love blueberries, could eat loads!
Help / advice on the above would be appreciated, thanks
Fage greek full fat yogurt is the best

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Probably best to keep the blueberries down to a sensible portion size, your postprandial bg readings will determine how much you can have in your meal.

One of the best Greek yogurts I've tasted is from Lidl, Milbona is the brand name.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably best to keep the blueberries down to a sensible portion size, your postprandial bg readings will determine how much you can have for in your meal.

One of the best Greek yogurts I've tasted is from Lidl, Milbona is the brand name.
Thanks, but does that yogurt have carbs in it?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found a very low carb one in Tescos the other week made from cocnut milk. It was v nice but cost £1.75 per 100g pot so is for treats only! Unfortunately I couldn't find it last week so not sure if they still sell it.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Tesco, lidl, coop all do full fat Greek style yoghurt, lidl 85% dark chocolate is the best tasting for me, add a couple of strawberries. Mmmmmmmm.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@millysue - you can't totally avoid carbs. so just need to be consistent about reading labels, and keep to sensible levels, (e.g under 5 or 10 g per 100g weight) but also consider the number of carbs in your portion size - which I think is the more important value! And you need to weight the nutritional value of various foods against their carb content, and try to strike a sensible (and safe) balance!

Googling will also tell you the approx. carbohydrate content of fresh foods - blueberries are around 11g carbs per 100g weight, but this will probably vary with varieties and ripeness! Using a meter to check how you react to them is the best way to go, then you can decide the quantity you can/should eat at any one time. I find they spike me higher at breakfast than they can do later in the day, so I try to eat a smaller portion first thing, and always eat them with either yoghurt (I'm another Fage fan!) or some thick cream.

Robbity

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The book Carbs & Cals also shows you how many carbs is in various size portions, you can get a smaller pocket size one too to carry around with you, handy when shopping or eating out.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fage greek full fat yogurt is the best

I'm struggling through a bowl of this, first time I've tried it.
Tried it neat at first, horrible! The I mixed some raspberries in, looked lovely, all pink, but tasted no better. Then I remembered someone mentioning about putting cream in it, so added a big dollop of double cream, marginally better but I still got that 'sour milk' flavour. :sour:
So I then added some Xylitol Natural Sugar Alternative, obviously not enough but didn't want to over do it.
Then I added some Madigascan Vanilla Extract, a bit better but still couldn't eat it without wincing at the sharpeness, so added more double cream.
Am eating it but can't say I'm enjoying it, I think it needs a big spoonful of honey! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm struggling through a bowl of this, first time I've tried it.
Tried it neat at first, horrible! The I mixed some raspberries in, looked lovely, all pink, but tasted no better. Then I remembered someone mentioning about putting cream in it, so added a big dollop of double cream, marginally better but I still got that 'sour milk' flavour. :sour:
So I then added some Xylitol Natural Sugar Alternative, obviously not enough but didn't want to over do it.
Then I added some Madigascan Vanilla Extract, a bit better but still couldn't eat it without wincing at the sharpeness, so added more double cream.
Am eating it but can't say I'm enjoying it, I think it needs a big spoonful of honey! ;)

Oh dear, :***: poor you. Lol ! ! :)
You must have a sweet tooth. I like plain yogurt, and with blueberries, yum yum.
Any left thow it this way. :)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just finished it, never taken me half an hour to eat youghurt before!
Yes I've always had a very sweet tooth and no way could this ever be described as sweet!
Not sure what to do with the rest, does it taste as bad if you cook with it? ;)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear. I had never eaten any sort of yogurt before, none at all. Fage Total was the first I ever tried and I fell in love with it immediately, with or without berries. We are all different!!

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just finished it, never taken me half an hour to eat youghurt before!
Yes I've always had a very sweet tooth and no way could this ever be described as sweet!
Not sure what to do with the rest, does it taste as bad if you cook with it? ;)

Curry, I put diced cucumber and mint in a bowl with plain yogurt, if I have made the curry too hot we spoon the yogurt mix over the top. Can also put the yogurt in the curry just before serving.
Our old dog likes to lick out the yogurt pot.

How if you don't like it, you may not like it added to other foods.
Sorry for taking the mick, but couldn't resist.

K

Kat100

I found a very low carb one in Tescos the other week made from cocnut milk. It was v nice but cost £1.75 per 100g pot so is for treats only! Unfortunately I couldn't find it last week so not sure if they still sell it.
Love coconut do you remember what it was called , was it a psck of four , would love to know ...

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Love coconut do you remember what it was called , was it a psck of four , would love to know ...
It's called Coyo and, as far as I know, you can only get them individually. They are quite expensive as well - when I went into Tesco's yesterday it was £1.99 per 100g pot

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Curry, I put diced cucumber and mint in a bowl with plain yogurt, if I have made the curry too hot we spoon the yogurt mix over the top. Can also put the yogurt in the curry just before serving.
Our old dog likes to lick out the yogurt pot.

How if you don't like it, you may not like it added to other foods.
Sorry for taking the mick, but couldn't resist.

What do you have with it? Not had curry for a few weeks, never had it without rice! I threw away some peshwari nans i had in the freezer, but got a fresh cauli today though, might try that cauli rice ;)