Yoghurt, any good to Diabetics?

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yes fruit especially berries (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry) and yogurts such as Greek or plain are fine.

Watch the flavoured ones as they are often very high in carbs for the quantity with the low fat ones being often the worst.

I have either Tesco or Fage Total Greek yogurt or Onken Plain yogurt with berries most mornings for breakfast. I often add a few nuts, sugar free jelly and sometimes a sprinkle of muesli to make it even more tasty. Keeps me going until lunch.

Regards
Angie

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
Most of the main supermarkets (e.g. Asda, Sainsburys, Tesco etc) sell pots of plain unsweetened low fat yoghurt for 55p, (500g I think) to which you can add your own fruit, nuts or whatever which works out miles cheaper than buying the branded ones and you know exactly what is and isnt in it!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Napolyon1 said:
Just wondered is fruit or plain yoghurt ok for diabetics?

Branded fruit-flavoured yoghurts are often quite high in carbs; make sure that you read the labels - you're looking for the number of grams of total carbohydrate in the pot.

As the others have recommended, I buy plain Greek-style yoghurt, unsweetened, or if I can get it, organic sheep's or goat's yoghurt - always unsweetened. Then you can add fresh berries to it as you please, and/or a few nuts. If you need to sweeten it, buy (eg) granulated Splenda - it just takes the edge off.

Because I eat low-carb/high fat, I always buy full-fat yoghurt. I find that any products advertised as "low fat" are usually stuffed full of carbohydrates.

Viv 8)