Yoghurt makers

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anybody make their own yoghurt? If so, what sort of machine do you use, how easy is it and what flavourings do you use that are diabetic friendly?

Excuse my ignorance, maybe you put pureed fruit in or do you add specific sachets? Dunno! But would love to know if any of you use one with minimal effect to your BSs.

Thanks in advance.

Ali

peecee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've used the EasiYo™ Yoghurt Maker, no need to plug it in it uses boiling water to keep your milk warm, i've never bothered with using powdered starter i just buy a small tub of good quality plain youghurt with live cultures in to start things off then keep a small tub back from each batch to start the next lot off. I tend to use just about any soft fruit my local asda has reduced in price, rasberrys , blueberries mangos make a nice yoghurt as well as rhubarb, blackcurrants, redcurrants, from our garden when in season :)

Finzi

peecee said:
I've used the EasiYo[TRADE MARK SIGN] Yoghurt Maker, no need to plug it in it uses boiling water to keep your milk warm, i've never bothered with using powdered starter i just buy a small tub of good quality plain youghurt with live cultures in to start things off then keep a small tub back from each batch to start the next lot off. I tend to use just about any soft fruit my local asda has reduced in price, rasberrys , blueberries mangos make a nice yoghurt as well as rhubarb, blackcurrants, redcurrants, from our garden when in season :)

Wow, that's really interesting! So what do you actually put into the EasiYo, apart from the live cultured yoghurt? I've only ever used the packet powders but they're really expensive and not that diabetic friendly - I'd love to make my own Greek yoghurt, can you do that? What do you put in? Milk?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I have a Severin yoghurt maker, electric, holds 7 jars with lids and take approx 8 hours cooking which I leave overnight.

1 ltr UHT COLD whole milk, a teaspoon of Yeo natural live yoghurt in each pot, add the milk, stir, screw the lids in place, switch on. leave for 8 hours.
Put the warm yoghurt pots into the fridge to kill the yeast.

1 pot gives me 2 servings.

I have tried it with semi skimmed milk but threw it out it was horrible.
I admit I do use a desertspoon of the natural live yoghurt as I like a thicker yoghurt.

I add a tablespoon of fruit to this for breakfast or desert. The severin does it the easy way with no thermometers.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Actually all you need is a flask, google it, you don't need fancy equipment.

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shortly after diagnosis I purchased the electric yoghurt maker from Lakeland. Like one of the previous posts I use 1litre UHT milk skimmed or semi with a dollop of the previous batch switch on and leave overnight or for at least 8 hours. I end up with 1.2 litres depending on how much starter I included.
I have recently strained the yoghurt through a piece of butter muslin placed in a sieve. The thickness depends on how long you leave it to drain.
It is semi solid and so easy to spoon out, regarding flavourings I then add what I fancy to a portion: powdered sweetener with fruit strawberries raspberries etc. mixed berries and seeds, puréed mango mixed in was great. I also use cinnamon (Burts has a shaker) ground vanilla beans etc.
I have also added herbs and garlic to make my own soft cheese or as a sauce with meat.
Avocado and yoghurt with chilli and tomato makes a nice dip or dressing.
I hope this has given you some ideas, I need to now get off my garden swing and go and put another batch on!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App