1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Yorkshire three peaks for JDRF at the end of the month

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by ert, Jul 16, 2019.

1. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

https://jdrf.org.uk/event/yorkshire-three-peaks-2/

I'd really like to do this - it's a great cause :), and I've done the 3 peak challenge. However, the issue is, unlike before, I'm now on insulin. Realistically, I have no idea how I'd even start to plan a 12-hour race when all I've done so far in the last 3 weeks is exercise on long-acting insulin and coffee and cream and squares of 90% dark chocolate. I don't imagine anyone would suggest this would work over 12 hours. Any advice?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@ert I have no idea, I would have gone with Kendal Mint Cake but that might not be so good. :rolleyes:;):)

Just had a look at the link it looks more like an organised walk than a race but even doing the old Google did not suggest much but did find the blog from the chap mentioned in the link

T1 blogger James Thurlow

Which might be of some help :)

Wish you luck and take some pictures on your phone and post them up :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

@ert the 3 peaks challenge looks great.
    However, if it was me, I would do a mini test run such as a walk up the closest of the three peaks, to work out what impact it has on my BG.
    You’d probably need to reduce your basal and take plenty of hypo treatment with you.
    But, the stress of a lot of walking uphill (depending on your fitness level) could lead to some high BGs along the way ... hence the need for the practice run.

In my experience the impact of 12 hours of walking is the next 24 to 48 hours ... I would reduce my basal by 25% the night after the walk.

And enjoy yourself whilst making money for a great cause.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I missed the boat this year:
    'Thanks for your email. Chris has now left JDRF, but we are looking after the event for him.
    The event is fully booked now I am afraid, as we have reached capacity at 100 walkers.
    We will be doing the event again in 2020 if that helps?!'
    Well, on the bright side, I have a year to prepare. Maybe I could try this myself in the meantime. I'm definitely in need of some summer distractions.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook