1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

You are going to think I'm mad but the strangest thing

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Claire007, May 24, 2017.

1. Claire007

Claire007 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ok, so do bear with me :yuck:
    So you know on the Insight when the pump does the self test? The screen changes colour blue/green/red following a set change?
    Well today, I'm at work, logging onto a shared computer (we share this particular one as we co deliver presentations from a training room) when the monitor starts going mad, flashing from blue/green/red, exactly the same as my pump! This has now happened to me 3 times and has never happened to any of the other trainers who use the room!
    Is my pump interfering with the monitor? Or is the computer on its way out?
    Am I on my way out????? It was very odd.
    Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Claire007

And sorry but I'm going to bed now to rest my weary head, will check back in the morning to see what the verdict is.

• Like Like x 1
  3. leslie10152

leslie10152 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That is rather odd. Best to get it checked out, may be signal interference, or just coincidence. Don't leave it to chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Sorry Claire, I'm not a pumper, never mind that model, but does the pump use Bluetooth or NFC going on? In other words, does your pump connect to anything "wirelessly", I'm sort of wondering if your pump and the room's laptop are trying to communicate in some way.

Of course, I could be so far off the mark it gives everyone a good chuckle, but I'll cope. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Claire007

Yes pump uses blu tooth.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Blimey @Claire007 that does sound weird! Presumably your pump doesn't misbehave at the same time (I do hope not!). How spooky!

Might be worth a call to Roche customer services to be on the safe side. I've not had any kind of interference issues with my own Insight, but then I do live a fairly low-tech existence....!

But gosh, how interesting!

:)

PS Re your thread title, you don't have to be mad to hang out here, but it helps! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I am still on mdi, so can't help with the pump problem, but I hope you can get it sorted out soon @Claire007 :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. AndBreathe

Retired Moderator

@Claire007 - please don't make any changes to your pump, but it would be interesting to investigate if the room laptop has Bluetooth, and whether it is switched on. It might be used for something like laser pointing devices or the like. However , if you were able to try that, im wondering if that isn't implicated in some way.

As I say I am not a pumper, so I'm trying to look at it just from an IT logic perspective.

Fingers crossed.

9. Claire007

I do use a clicker thingy to move the PowerPoint presentation along, wonder if it's that? It works remotely from a 'thing' I stick in the USB port. <<<< My technical lingo would get me a grade F.

10. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think @AndBreathe has got it: bluetooth devices mess with each other in unpredictable ways.

On the other hand, maybe the North Koreans are hacking you, or maybe Steven Spielberg was onto something: does your pump and/or computer go, "bing, bing, bing, bing...bing", and have you recently built one of these in your living room?

closeencounters4.jpg

Just raking, claire, just raking!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

12. AndBreathe

Retired Moderator

Claire, my take would be the USB gizmo is "finding" your pump, instead of the clicker, and communicating with it. I bet if you tried a wired mouse (I know "so last century") the interference wouldn't happen. If it did, it would be worth checking the laptop itself doesn't have built in Bluetooth making the connection.

If this phenomenon is interfering with the presentations you give, you might need to consider a different way of "clicking".

13. Claire007

That's it!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook