1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

You can eat your normal diet

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by achyut1939, Aug 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I agree, unfortunately some like myself do not have the option of burning it off by exercise.

• Like Like x 1
  2. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is great that you have managed to remain complications free after 30yrs of T2D diagnosis. Unfortuanately few have been as successful or fortunate. Many have to deal with multiple complications in spite of their best efforts and struggled to find the balance.

Your suggested level of carbs restriction is right along the upper limit and a sensible starting point of what is generally considered to be low carb. Because if you have 3 meals of 40g carbs per day. That is just about what a T2D is able to manage without too much glucose spikes. So individuals should reduce and "personalize" their carbs intake to match their excessive insulin/glucose response.

Dietary carbohydrate restriction as the first approach in diabetes management: Critical review and evidence base
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0899900714003323
    upload_2019-8-29_15-8-14.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JohnyT2

JohnyT2 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I understand there could be limitation to exercise for many, still try to keep yourself active in what ever way one can without aggravating existing limitations and give reasons for body to consume what ever possible excess glucose.

4. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

Agreed. Some sort of balance in this case roughly translates to the word optimum.

5. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

Some of us have narrower “windows” to work within than others.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. achyut1939

achyut1939 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How is it that many are getting complications inspite of control of diet, and taking insulin/medicines. Their bg values must have been very high for long periods of time due to not controlling their diabetes properly.

#86 achyut1939, Aug 29, 2019 at 9:14 AM
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  7. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

So... a vegetarian/vegan diet?

8. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Or as in many cases were diabetic for long periods before diagnosis for instance I already had neuropathy, retinopathy and some kidney dysfunction when diagnosed Gaining control of blood sugars got rid of the retinopathy Metformin plus strict restrictions in carbs and calories was the path I chose but that was my personal choice and others are free to do what they feel is best for them myasthenia gravis severely limits exercise and does not give way to will power or determination, medication keeps me mobile to a degree most of the time. Sometimes it is necessary to accept ones limitations and try to work within them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You would have to modify your diet if you were in an Indian state where there was no beef.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Would that be the same India that has the highest incidence of T2 globally?

Association of course...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. kokhongw

I don't know about others, but I have watched how my father struggled over the last 10-15 years of his life to managed his glucose levels on a low fat, whole grains type diet. Steam fish, lean meat, brown rice, brown rice noodles, lots of veg and "healthy" fruits, milo without sugar...regular hour-long walks in the morning and evening...still ended up with failed kidney, 2nd heart bypass, multiple stents (6 in total), multiple vascular surgeries (3) to save his gangrenous toes. Toe amputations one by one...kidney failure... edema, memory loss etc. Car accident due to hypoglycemia because he likely mis-dosed himself... all the while his HbA1c was around 8% which his doctors assure us is perfectly fine for his age...70+.

What I have gathered from that experience is that many will be falsely assured by the medical community that we have been doing our best. Glucose fluctuation is normal. Chronically high glucose level is acceptable. Diabetes is chronic and progressive. Diabetic complications is inevitable. It is dependent on the luck of the draw. Some have better genetics than others. So just accept it.

But the reality is surprisingly different. Our T2D journey need not be so fraught with challenges when we begin to realize that chronic excessive insulin AND glucose are both damaging. Medication free and Insulin sparing lifestyle is achievable and sustainable.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #91 kokhongw, Aug 29, 2019 at 10:36 AM
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  12. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

All l am saying is that some people's circumstances are different and being smug about your own situation doesn't help them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. kokhongw

One would have expected that insulin used would have given us better glucose control... but based on this study data of 18,000+ patients, insulin is not necessarily the answer...the mean HbA1c is 8.7% +/- 1.8%
    https://www.practicaldiabetes.com/a...ntegrated-diabetes-service-vs-uk-wide-cohort/

upload_2019-8-29_17-52-24.png

14. achyut1939

What were his bg levels like, when he was suffering from the complications?

15. kokhongw

His BG range from typically 8 - 13 mmol/L

16. millenium

millenium Carer · Well-Known Member

Not limiting carb is a serious handicap in diabetic management.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. millenium

18. millenium

Not able to be physically active after meals is another handicap because the pancreas will have to work much harder to lower the bg.

#98 millenium, Aug 29, 2019 at 11:13 AM
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  19. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

If they are following the high carb diet advice handed out to people who are basically carb intolerant and they already have a high insulin level and are injecting insulin on top of that... then the reason is most likely insulin resistance.

• Like Like x 1
  20. achyut1939

It is reported that the fbg should be 4 mmol/L to 6 mmol /L, and ppbg 8 mmol/L to 10 mmol/L, for proper diabetes control.

• Hug Hug x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook