You can't argue with stupid

julie42

Hi, I wanted to share a strange conversation I had with a family friend yesterday.
I was diagnosed with type 2 on Tuesday and put on metformin as my hospital results came back 8.2. It was a shock but my dad was fit and active when diagnosed but nearly 60, I am 42 and not a sweet tooth. I have learned so much from this site, I thought after dad has been diabetic for 20 years and had hypos I was an expert. How wrong I was, I never knew it was carbs like potatoes, I thought desserts. Anyway back to my story.

Yesterday was a low day, my 2 hr levels have been getting to 10.4, I am paying for the strips as my GP refused. I had a wobble and cried at lunch not knowing what to eat. After "having a word" with myself I was ok until the phone rang. The person who phoned is diabetic and I moaned away about the metformin and how the doctor agreed to change to slow release as I have a bad stomach anyway, how I never knew it was carbs and my levels. The Answer I got stopped me in my tracks. They told me never read the leaflet with tablets, just take them. Eat what I like and just take the said tablets and stop filling my head full of nonsense on web sites and books. I was speechless, I said how I must get to grips with this due to my age and I want to be well, once I figure out a diet plan that suits me I will be fine but I feel the reduced carbs must play a part. They disagreed and rung off thinking I am going potty.

How do you argue with stupid? If they had not been diabetic then maybe I could excuse the ack of knowledge but to just do as you like and continue to increase the tablets is down right crazy

I am sort of laughing today how stubborn folk can be but I thought I would share to see if anyone else has had anything similar

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think some people go into a kind of denial and refuse to change their habits! Why change what you eat when the doctors will just give you something to fix it??

I am only 31 so I know this us going to take years of hard work to keep on track but the longer I can do something to help the better!!

I had a similar conversation when I was told me to be so anal and stupid!!

just keep doing what you're doing! The advice of this site has been so helpful.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
people NEED to see what can happen... I certainly saw the consequences last week... I turned round in my local Morrisons and almost fell over a lady in a wheelchair... she was blind and also had all her toes missing... just little short stumpy bandaged swollen feet... she'd been parked there behind me by her young daughter while her daughter was getting some produce down from a shelf...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Of course you can't argue with stupid
stupid is thoughtless and to ague, you need to think logically.
Add to that the fact that so many people believe that Healthcare -professionals know best and wouldn't consider going against their instructions, then you see why
Hana

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Never argue with stupid people. They will bring you down to their level and beat you on experience.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
You don't argue with stupid. It's a waste of time and energy which you don't have. Stupid is stupid. Stupid likes being stupid. You, however, are not stupid but you would be stupid to argue with stupid because you have better things to do, like getting yourself well. This comes from a person who has many times in the past, argued with stupid and really regrets all the time I wasted on stupid, that I could have been using for my own betterment. :wink:

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Julie, the answer is in your statement ' You can't argue with stupid '

Experiment and see what works for YOU !

Do not listen to other people, ESPECIALLY the nhs, they generally do not have a clue. IMHO.

You sound like you are on the right track with your thinking, low carb etc.

The comment by Patch sums up just what we should think about the stupid. ( poor sods )

Superchip

julie42

I heard the expression "you can't argue with stupid" a while ago I am ashamed to say on the tv program housewives of Orange County, sorry I know it's rubbish. It made me laugh and it felt to fit hear. I am going to try do my best carb wise, I went to a funeral today so had no choice but to nibble on a Sandwich but I just ate lots of pork and veg for tea. Balance has to be the key to everything. Thanks for your replies, I am still shaking my head that someone refuses to read medication leaflets?

makka

No you cant argue with stupid, and you would never win if you tried.
However you now may have a fall back plan when you have a really bad day and you just can't help yourself to chocolate or that bottle of wine!
Adjust your medicants to suit the intake for that day and then start back again with your plan the next day.
Diabetes or not everyone has bad days sometimes, don't beat yourself up about them, have a strategy!

Personally if I can avoid medicants I will STILL waiting to see the nurse! I only say this as everyone I have known with diabetes has been medicated and they are forever trying to balance their levels, keep their levels up and it's just a personal thing but I don't want to be on that train.... If I have to have them I will but only after I have tried everything else.

Good luck with your planning hope you get it sorted.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
No just don't vote for him or move to another practice (If you are in Bracknell <G>) :twisted:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Julie, you dont say whether your friend is well controlled or not, the reason I mention this is if they are well controlled then their not that stupid are they, they may just be controlling their diabetes their way.

Please dont fall into the trap of thinking there is only one way to control diabetes.

Of course you can argue with stupid what you cant do is fix it :D

robertwt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Rudeness, bad driving, incautious use of English
Stupid is as stupid does.
Advising someone out of ignorance certainly is an act of stupidity (does she have an -ology? Bad puppy!)
Logging in to this forum and having a minor rant about stupid - now THAT's a smart move

Read the label (don't worship it - if the User Sheet says 1 in 100,000 people get a bad reaction it means that 99,999 probably don't (but it's as well to be warned and prepared just in case you're the lottery winner!) ("Do you feel lucky, punk. Well do you?")

Apart from the insulin (novorapid, levemir) I am on almost 10 different medications (including Metformin) plus vitamins and things. I rattle when I move I'm taking so many tablets. I always read the instructions, just to suss out the just how bad it can get. I frighten myself occasionally, by listing what can go wrong and then looklng for symptoms.

Eat what I like and just take the said tablets and stop filling my head full of nonsense on web sites and books.

Poppycock. Read on, dear Julie42. The web and books are full of advice. Some of it needs to be taken with a pinch of (low sodium) salt.

Find out what you like, what suits you (I eat carbs, usually at each meal. It apprears to suit me. I watch the sugar thing but occasionally indulge myself with a pudding. (There are such things as sugar free desserts (Sainsbury's does a good Instant Whip type range) (OK so I don't hold back with cake - which my dear wife makes - no more than abour 3 oz of sugar for a 9" cake). But then one man's carbohydrate rebuced bread.......

....... .I said how I must get to grips with this due to my age and I want to be well, once I figure out a diet plan that suits me
The short response is "Go figure". Keep a food diary (jot down food, carbs, calories, sugar. If you liked something new, in the diary it goes. If you don't - so be it.)

I will be fine but I feel the reduced carbs must play a part.

YES IT WILL BE (fine that is). I don't regard carbs as the enemy. Maybe I should, It will make life very 'interesting' if I decided to give them up.

They disagreed and rung off thinking I am going potty

Going potty is something I know and live with! It's not suchh a bad place and you meet some really interresting people.

:lol:

stephiesut

I dont know if it is stupidity or just lack of understanding.

I say this because my mum went to a DESMONDS course about a year ago, when she was newly diagnosed. She came out of it saying they said basically you can eat what you like, just take the tablets and all will be well (which to be fair, she does and she is fine, but she never had a bad diet to begin with)

I went to the same DESMOND course yesterday and they fully explained the role of carbs, and what it is wise to eat and what isnt. I dont know where mum got the idea that she can eat what she likes as that isnt at all the message they were sending out.

I have to admit though I never read medication leaflets. They just scare me.